Painting Hull

manateerichard

Collegiate Sailor
Just wondering, I have looked at around 6 or 7 lasers to buy and out of those 2 or 3 of them were repainted on the hull/deck. I never offered to buy any of them (they were all in the 140-160lb range due to paint) but my question is why do they bother to paint the hull? Are they trying to hide something? I just never could understand why they did this... :confused:

p.s. If anyone is wanting to sell a laser in Florida, let me know! :cool:

They probably weren't racers. They probably bought a used boat with some appearance issues on a budget, and they just wanted to make it look nice. When you've just bought your first boat, there is a certain satisfaction about working on it yourself.

Somebody posted a thread a few months ago about repainting his daughter's boat. It was something they worked on together, and the result turned out well.

if the boats weighed that much because of some paint then someone didn't prep the boats right. When I refurb a boat I generally do paint the hulls and touch up the decks if necessary. My boats however don't gain any weight. I take off as much as I put on, biggest difference is my bottoms are fair when I am done.

(they were all in the 140-160lb range due to paint)

That does seem like a lot of extra weight due to paint. Perhaps those boats were sodden inside and just needed a good airing. There could be extra weight from added resin and fiberglass cloth repairs, as well.

Why paint? Some people don't know any better. I've worked in a certain marine hardware store, and a number of people came in for paint, but I sent them out with buffing compound and polish.

honestly I paint a refurbed hull for a couple of reasons. One is I fair the hull so I am sanding all the highs and filling the lows of a production boat, yes your hulls are not fair when they come out of the mold. Not sure if this is legal in a class event but for a refurb that i will sell it is great and I sail them until they are gone. Also I llike the old boats that had color so I paint it to replicate one of the late 90's through 2000's when a stripe was the norm. rubbed out and polished you can see yourself quite nicely in my bottom.

One is I fair the hull so I am sanding all the highs and filling the lows of a production boat, yes your hulls are not fair when they come out of the mold. Not sure if this is legal in a class event...

Fairing the hull is absolutely not legal.

This is news to me. What about fixing hull damage and how would you draw the line between fixing and fairing?
Thanks
E

You are not allowed to fill in or sand down the lows and highs from the production mold. Fixing is allowed; that is, returning it to the original shape after a ding or hole.

ILCA Rules:

Part Three, 11. Hull finish

1. Waxing, polishing and fine wet and dry sanding of the hull is permitted, provided the intention and effect is to polish the hull only. Polishing/sanding shall not be used to remove mould imperfections.
  2. Sanding and refinishing of the hull with the intention or effect to lighten the hull or improve the performance, finish, materials or shape beyond the original is not permitted.

Back