Painting centerboard?

I just finished filling some scratches and sanding of the trailing edge of my centerboard. It came out smooth but now its all different colors you and you can see where its filled. I care about the looks of my boat more then I should. But before I go ahead and paint it I would like to know whether painting it is class legal, and if I can paint it any color I want. I have seen pictures of people with orange centerboards but I'm not sure if they painted them orange or if they got them orange. Also I was thinking about painting it with Interlux perfection because I am familiar with using it from refinishing the hull of my fathers boat, however I'm not sure whether or not a two part polyurethane is overkill for this job. Any comments, answers, or help will be very much appreciated.

I used Krylon spray paint. Comes in lots of colors, drys fast, and wet sands well. Also, Cheap!

Guys, the blades are subject to warping due to heat - painting them any dark color will only make that worse.

Also, if you ever sail in a weedy area (such as Great South Bay on LI), having dark colors makes it very difficult to see debris caught on the blades

But to each his own

It would look pretty bad@#% having black blades. I'll probably end up doing Grey or Orange.

The local university has painted all of its Laser foils bright orange. I understand it makes them easier to find if they drift away from the boat, and they don't tend to walk off on their own.

Back