Painting a Laser sail

I have a couple of older sails and I was wondering what kind of paint other sailors use to get their sails nice and white and back into racing shape. I've been told that there is a paint out there that can be applied by brush that will bring it back to life. Any ideas where I can find this paint? Thanks

Before dacron and other synthetic materials were invented, sails were made of cotton. These sails could be brought "back to life" by painting a tar-like substance on it. Success was never guaranteed. Modern sails are coated with something (I am not sure what this coating is called) that helps prolong the sail to some extend. I guess you can apply this to on older sail again, but once the shape is destroyed one cannot bring it back though. It will slow the detoriation-process PERHAPS, but besides that it will not bring the sail back to life.
It would be nice though!
GWF

Just a few thoughts:

1. Plastic technology leaps ahead juat as Computer technology has been leaping ahead.
2. The material may already exist.
3. The material and the world of sailing may not ever meet unless someone with a buck to make puts the two together

Gouvernail,

How can a sail be repaired? As I see it, an old sail has not lost its life because it has become softer, but because certain parts (such as the leech) have been stretched. Painting some kind of material on it, is just going to leave that leech (or any other part) in the same position, which is already bad. Maybe I am wrong (as usual) but it seems to me that one needs to have the knowledge of a sailmaker in order to turn an old sail into a good sail again.
ON THE OTHER HAND, I would not be surprised if there are ways to keep a new sail in new condition for a longer time. Nor would I be surprised if sailmakers have some knowledge about these novice ways, but simply do not want to explore it because it will take a lot of income away from them.
GWF

Georg W.F. said:
Gouvernail,

"A." I would not be surprised if there are ways to keep a new sail in new condition for a longer time.
"B." Nor would I be surprised if sailmakers have some knowledge about these novice ways, but simply do not want to explore it
GWF

"A" Leave it in the bag and don't use it

"B" Generally sailmakers get into that occupation because the love sailing. They also tend to love spreading the sport and resulting good times. Nope...They certainly wouldn't want you to leave those sails stored forever

Back