Outhaul. Which system works better?

fordewind

Hi, friends! Can you tell me what system of the outhaul works better? US or UK? I want to know where it is better to put the bloks? Near the clam cleat or near the mast. And also interesting how much bloks is better to use. Please look at the photos.

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 76
I used the system with the purchase at the mast for the longest time, but when I switched having the purchase further back on the boom, the difference was amazing. Much better in my opinion.

Plus, a shorter primary = less outhaul adjustment caused by boom bend.

I used the system with the purchase at the mast for the longest time, but when I switched having the purchase further back on the boom, the difference was amazing. Much better in my opinion.

Plus, a shorter primary = less outhaul adjustment caused by boom bend.

Thanks for answer! And can you tell do you have a block attached to the clam cleat? Or you use less powerful outhaul?

I find it depends on how strong you are. The second picture gives you additional purchase but will also result in more rope on the foredeck/in the cockpit.

I use the standard 4:1 (I think that is how is comes out) and I do not have any loops around the boom as I find they have a tendancy to tighten at the wrong moments meaning you cannot adjust the outhaul if you need to.

This combined with a fairly heavy shock-cord inhaul works well for me but I am on the large side for a Laser sailor (6'1" and 185lb/85kg).

My advice would be try the cheaper system (ie the one with less blocks) to start with but make sure you have enough rope to switch it to the other way if you need to. Then once you are happy trim the ropes down and seal them off.

I find it depends on how strong you are. The second picture gives you additional purchase but will also result in more rope on the foredeck/in the cockpit.

I use the standard 4:1 (I think that is how is comes out) and I do not have any loops around the boom as I find they have a tendancy to tighten at the wrong moments meaning you cannot adjust the outhaul if you need to.

This combined with a fairly heavy shock-cord inhaul works well for me but I am on the large side for a Laser sailor (6'1" and 185lb/85kg).

My advice would be try the cheaper system (ie the one with less blocks) to start with but make sure you have enough rope to switch it to the other way if you need to. Then once you are happy trim the ropes down and seal them off.

Jeffers,

If I remember correctly, as long as you make sure you don't have a ton of extra line to start with, that shouldn't be an issue. I have only enough to make a barely hand sized bowline, and even when I have my outhaul as tight as I would ever want it, the line doesn't even come close to reaching my cockpit.

And, you're pretty close to perfect size for a Laser, assuming you have your light wind abilities down pat.

Jeffers,

If I remember correctly, as long as you make sure you don't have a ton of extra line to start with, that shouldn't be an issue. I have only enough to make a barely hand sized bowline, and even when I have my outhaul as tight as I would ever want it, the line doesn't even come close to reaching my cockpit.

And, you're pretty close to perfect size for a Laser, assuming you have your light wind abilities down pat.

Hi Shatty,

I sail inland on a small gravel pit so I find I lose out a lot to the guys who are around the 70-75 kg mark. In the very light or the very windy I usually beat them (in the medium stuff too as well but if they get planing I don't stand a chance). For sea sailing I am about right (although I think Ainslie was only 80 when he sailed one in the Olympics).

This is why i have the 8.1, most of them cannot handle a sail that size in any wind, that and a lot of our racing is Handicap so i need to get an advantage somehow!

As for you comments on the line length I do agree but even using the setup I have I do occasioanlly find the tail of the outhaul is long enough to cause issues with the mainsheet block...

Dear friends!

Can you tell the length of the primary and secondary for 4:1 and 6:1 outhaul system! And how to find the maximum loose of the outhaul?

Look in the Laser manual.

People always link it on here.

The line lengths they suggest always seem to be too long, though.

Dear friends!

Can you tell the length of the primary and secondary for 4:1 and 6:1 outhaul system! And how to find the maximum loose of the outhaul?

My rule of thumb is a stretched handspan for max loose (around 7 inches or so) and a clenched fist for max on (around 3-4 inches), anything less and the sail is way too flat!

My rule of thumb is a stretched handspan for max loose (around 7 inches or so) and a clenched fist for max on (around 3-4 inches), anything less and the sail is way too flat!

Dear Jeff! I'm from Ukraine and it is really difficult to understand what you mean can you tell this with other other words?! Thanks a lot!!! :)

"jeffers" is refering about the distance "a" (view sketch in attachment below). 1 cm = 0,39 inch / 1 inch = 2,54 cm.

At TLF there is a longer Thread about detailed measures for the outhaul etc, done by "gouvernail" (~2006-2008??) and recommend/corrected other master Laserites. I just cant't find it, sorry. Perhaps other may add the link to.

Attachments

• Trim Distance for Outhaul.jpg
    Trim Distance for Outhaul.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 45
"jeffers" is refering about the distance "a" (view sketch in attachment below). 1 cm = 0,39 inch / 1 inch = 2,54 cm.

At TLF there is a longer Thread about detailed measures for the outhaul etc, done by "gouvernail" (~2006-2008??) and recommend/corrected other master Laserites. I just cant't find it, sorry. Perhaps other may add the link to.

Thanks LooserLU ! It will be nice to find this links!

Thanks everyone for help!!!

Back