Outhaul to cockpit question

Kevin Pierce

I purchased a new (to me) Sunfish this weekend and ran accross something new (to me) in the outhaul rig. Looks like what was described in an old post here about getting the outhaul control into the cockpit.

"You get a line with a veerrry long tail, and after it goes thru the cleat, take it all the way fwd, around the gooseneck, and then down thru the halyard fairlead. Then either tie a handle on it, or tie it to your daggerboard so it is always handy." (Beldar Boathead)

Everything looks good to go, except I'm not sure about the "around the gooseneck" instruction. Is it over the gooseneck and in front of the mast? Or just around the part of the gooseneck that's between the mast and the boom?

Kevin

derekcjackson said:
I would go around the mast below the gooseneck. Going around the gooseneck can be problematic with binding.

I think you're right. I tried it last night around the gooseneck. Too much movement when jibing; it moved the "handle" out of my reach. So I went around the mast (alone) instead. Seemed to work as promised.

Kevin

Back