Outhaul question

altair

Do most people take the outhaul around the gooseneck or the mast? I had it around the gooseneck but found that everytime I adjusted the gooseneck I had to adjust the outhaul.

Altair,
Since the mast and gooseneck remain in the same position relative to each other, your problem will remain. As you adjust the gooseneck along the boom, the distance from the mast/gooseneck to the outhaul cleat will change. Take your pick. Good Luck.

There is a solution. Place the outhaul clam cleat on the boom with the jaws facing toward the bow. Then run the outhaul line through the cleat, around the goosenece and back to the boom with a little shock cord to keep the slack end of the line snug along the boom. I also make a handle out of a 1.5" inch pirece of 1/2" hardwood dowel (with a hole in it) to make it easier to tighten the outhaul. To tighten, pull the line from the gooseneck aft and it will self-cleat on the boom mounted cleat; to ease the outhaul, just uncleat it at the cleat. I have used this system for the last two years, and it eliminates having to re-tune when you change the gooseneck positon.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Sounds like a good solution, but does it break rule 3.7? "Each sheet or line must be ONE continuous length of line of uniform diameter." Has anyone tried just a piece of shock cord for the outhaul line?

The idea behind an adjustable outhaul/cunningham is the ability to control the length to control the sail. Shock cord would just stretch and make a mockery of any adjustment. As a rule of thumb the higher the wind the tighter the cunnuingham/outhaul need to be. Shock cord would just stretch more.
I'm just glad more folks haven't found out the best kept secret for making a 3 purchase outhaul and cunningham......LOL

I know I never should have posted that before....LOL Plus a thimble in a loop. makes for easy pulling and no sticking on release. The 236 was my original idea, but I "borrowed" the thimble idea.
Funny thing was when I first used the 236's in the late 80's for a triple purchase at a regional I had a couple of "veteran" racers look at it and tell me after seeing it work, that it would never work.....LOL

In terms of the question of the mast vs the gooseneck, I believe the mast is the best solution because it is a smoother turning point which will make the outhaul easier to adjust.

While I think there is merit to Alan's suggested solution, in my opinion it is not legal to use a separate piece of bungi chord in the outhaul. It is important to remember the first rule "No addition or alteration may be made to the Sunfish as supplied by the Builder except as is specifically authorized by these rules."

The rule governing the outhauls says "A total of two lines and two cleats may be installed on the spars to facilitate adjustment of tension on foot and luff of the sail." First of all, it is debatable if a bungi is considered a line. Probably the class rule "Outhaul lines may be replaced with a line of any type and any length for the sole purpose of making a more easily adjustable outhaul / inhaul for each boom" would allow it. However, if a bungi is classified as a line, using it and a rope would make two lines and you would not be allowed to have a cunningham because it would almost certainly require a third line to rig it.

If you are concerned about the extra slack from the outhaul and want to keep it tight along the boom use something that qualifies under this portion of the rule: "These adjustable outhauls may be led through flexible fairleads, attached to the spars without hardware". The sail ties (used instead of sail clips) work very well for this purpose.

Back