outhaul line

ylojelo

I realized I'll need to replace this when I install the new sail (I have the rings already). Can I use line I get from lowes? If so, what am I looking for- width and material?

You want a very low stretch line that is a 3mm (1/8" or thereabouts) diameter. Good luck finding it at Lowes. I had trouble finding that size and quality at marine shops. :D

I doubt that you will find the proper line at Lowe's.

1. the line should fit the cleat you installed
  2. the line should be (relatively) non-stretch. I know that 'non-stretch' doesn't make total sense, but that's the term that riggers use
  3. the line should be friendly to your fingers

Buying the line from a sailing shop will be a bit more expensive, but you already invested in a cleat and your work, so why not have a system that will function properly?

PS: I see that Minifish posted one minute ahead of me, but we do seem to agree on the issue at hand.

Not sure of 3.8mm is too big for you but West Marine has 3.8mm Spyder Line. Probably the quickest way short of mail order and you get to inspect the line before you buy.

I'm just replacing the sail. I have the rings, but it looks like I should replace the line at the corners.

Just rig your new sail with some cheap, temporary, twine. Once you like what you see, take a measurement. You probably won't need more than three feet of line to tie down both the clew and the head of the sail.

PS: Don't take your new sail out in a blow initially.

If you are just bombing around recreationally, you do not need any special line. Just get some nylon 1/8 or 3/16 line and you will be fine. YOu only need the good stuff for racing.

Back