outhaul and cunningham

ang

hi, i just got a 2008 laser and it has the standard harken vang cunningham and outhaul. i dont like the outhaul because i have to tie the entire thing every time and my friends only have to tie half of it. and the cunningham has to much purchase, but when i took some of it off it would twist.

Max,

What's up with that bizarre downhaul rigging on David's boat. He ties it to the vang tang then ties it to the boom with a clove hitch. What is he trying to accomplish?

It keeps the line away from getting stuck between the boom and the mast. I normally rig my cunningham up on the port side, so the blocks slide up over the boom rather than getting caught in the gooseneck.

He would be better off simply tieing it to the gooseneck, old school style. Then its totally out of the way. He method is time consuming , places weird loads on the boom, and unnecessary. Very creative. Looks like a fool's errand to me.

I've tried tying it to the goosneck, but it still draws the blocks too close to the mast. I think loads on the boom is better than vang tang and gooseneck imo.. either way it's all about what works for you

in that video how many feet of line for the out haul? for a radial and 4.7? how many for the cunning ham? and what thickness is good 4mm?

i planed on useing swiftcord and 13 feet seams like a lot for the cunningham. i only need the cleated end for the outhaul and cunning ham, for a radial. i will figure it out for the 4.7

and how much for the outhaul? radial and the 4.7 i will just get like 3 ft more spectra

13ft of the cleated line, 5 feet for the non-cleated, for the radial it's pretty close, 4.7 you'll need more of the non-cleated line,

If you get an extra couple of feet on the non-cleated line it always comes in handy

Back