Outhaul and Cunnigham upgrades

Lasersail2

I am considering buying the cunnigham and outhaul upgrades for my 1984 Laser and had a few questions. First, is it worth making the upgrades to an older hull? Second, if I do purchase the upgrades is it worth paying the extra money to get the "Mojo" upgrades from colie or should I save the money and go with the standard vanguard system? Any input, especially as to the differences between the colie and vanguard sytems would be greatly appreciated.
-Jeff

.....you can save MUCH $ by being creative,and doing things yourself.--the 'dr laser' site has lots of useful inf for this.---Unless you're planning to be top 10 in NA events,I'd say you needn't bother to purchase anything more than some small blocks to add into your system,and perhaps an extra clamcleat,for the outhaul,,,and needn't bother with the deck fittings or cleat-crap either--just attach 2 small blocks to the deck fitting,,,and mount your deck cleats on a small alumimum base.

Jeff, to answer your question, yes the Colie MoJo system is much better then the standard upgrade. We are V-Guard dealers and my daughter uses the Colie system so that should tell you something. However if you haven't upgraded the vang system yet I would spend the $$ there before the Cunning/Outhaul upgrade. Sure you can screw around with a bunch of blocks to increase the purchase but you can not make up your own deck fittings and cleat base. The only deck fittings and cleat bases that are class legal are ones that are "manufacturer supplied" . Is it worth upgrading a 1984 boat? If you race it the answer is yes. Plus when you get around to selling it to buy a newer boat take your system with you. Scott

Scott-
Thanks for the advice. To answer your question I have upgraded my vang, I did this first because the old vang would never release around the windward mark, inhibiting downwind speed. Also, I upgraded the vang first because I could simply pin the new system on without worrying about adding new cleats etc. I was unaware that only "manufacture supplied" deck cleats are legal, as one of the main reasons I want to switch to the new system is to eliminate the need to reach to the boom to ease the outhaul. Again, thanks for the advice.

How does the Mojo upgrade differ from the normal Vanguard upgrade? From Colie's website it was not clear to me what exactly was included in the mojo upgrade.

Back