On deck compass?

Wetass

I'm a keelboat sailor new to the Laser. Do many Laser sailors use a compass on their boats to track wind shifts? If so, what sort of compass and mount works well? Are there any submersible digital compasses?

I prefer the Silva 103RE Compass, it has many good features, like different colours and it's easy to use with the numbers. (www.silva.se)
It must be mounted on a so called compass spider, a plate around the cleats on your deck.

As far as I know, digital compasses are not allowed, because they are illegal according to the class rules. This rule has once been introduced because a digital compass can influence the normal compass.

Digital compasses are illegal, indeed, not because they can influence the normal compass (I am not even sure what that means) but because digital compasses can have other functions.
In any case, a compass is not necessary, but can be helpful to confirm what you think you observe. Some of the top sailors do not use compasses. I have no idea how you sail, but some keel boat sailors have fixed their eyes on the instruments. This is a bad habit, because that is not where things happen. In order to get your head out of the boat, it might be helpful to sail without a compass for a while.
I did put a compass on mine eventually, but I still have to get used to it.
Georg

I'm sure that the rule has been introduced cause of the magnetic influence from a digital compass to another. Since a few years there are digital compasses in the market with a lot of functions as well.

digitals are illegal according to class rules. and when it comes to laser sailing, consantrate on everything else then when you have everything else down and second nature then get a compass to help fine tune things. Cause if you are racing and paying attention to the compass you wont be paying attantion to your boat speed and what is around you. A compass is just one more thing to distract you.

You'll need a compass if there's a threat of fog, otherwise you'll do fine without. When I first started racing Lasers, I drew my tacking angles on deck as a reference for laylines. That helped a bunch with the learning curve, but eventually you won't need those either.
I agree with the comment on instruments and big boats. On my Cal 25, I use nothing but a handheld GPS for 2 main functions: keeping my course charts, and VMG downwind. I'll use it for a compass if it gets foggy, but that's about it. You just don't need all the other gadgets, especially in One design.

Steve_Landeau said:
When I first started racing Lasers, I drew my tacking angles on deck as a reference for laylines.

Sounds kinda interesting - can you elaborate? I frequently overstand the lay-line - getting better with experience, but always keen to learn! How does this work, and how do you determine where to put the lines??

Well, it was over 20 years ago, so my numbers may be off, but I seem to remember the laser tacking at 82 degrees through the wind. On each side of the boat, just in front of where you'd be sitting, I drew a line parallel to the CL of the boat (approx 10" or 254mm in length for and aft), and an angled line at 82 (or whatever it really is, I'm sure someone here currently using a compass can update us on a tacking angle) pointing outboard from the aft end of your CL parallel line. I used this line as a sight reference when I thought I was close. After time, you'll just know the angle without needing the line reference.
Hope it makes sense,

I always used to find a compass very useful on both big boats (for racing, not just navigation etc.) and dingies (used to have two on my Fireball - one each side). Not used one on a Laser yet. However, on Fireball many years ago it was invaluable when they set a race in thick fog (in the sea) as compass needed to find the wing mark based on the angle the said it was to the beat. Then also needed it to find the shore after the race (it was in the sea). Thinking back I would now question about how sensible it was to race in such conditions but it was many years ago.

Also use them all the time to detect wind shifts. Detecting wind shifts, particularly when heading "out to sea" can be tricky as there are few points of reference on the horizon.

Ian

Don't spend to much time in the coffeeshop.
I have never heard of such a thing.
Georg

Oh yes, I do spend a lot of time in the coffeeshop. Though, I would prefer living there, instead of your cave with no one to talk to.
I have learned the rules about compasses from guys that have a lot of experience with judging international laser regattas, and therefore they know every rule.
Try to catch some sunlight, it'll probably open your eyes.

i thought the only rules re: Compasses, was that digital versions are NOT allowed. i don't know what an international judge has to do with it, digitals aren't allowed anywhere. also, 'dutch', i think 'george' was referring to your comment "I'm sure that the rule has been introduced cause of the magnetic influence from a digital compass to another. Since a few years there are digital compasses in the market with a lot of functions as well."
i don't see how my compass( digital or otherwise) will affect yours( digital or otherwise) from one boat to another. and yes, the functions that these new digitals have is pretty impressive. but, alas, they are still not allowed on lasers.

now, with the holidays approaching. everbody come out of your caves and let's all go to the coffeeshop. where it's warm. and there's coffee. and stuff.

later

Dutchlaser said:
Oh yes, I do spend a lot of time in the coffeeshop. Though, I would prefer living there, instead of your cave with no one to talk to.
I have learned the rules about compasses from guys that have a lot of experience with judging international laser regattas, and therefore they know every rule.
Try to catch some sunlight, it'll probably open your eyes.

HAHAHA! Don't be so upset! :)
Your argument is a perfect example of the fallacy that is called the Argumentum ad Verecundiam, or argument from authority. In such an argument one appeals to an authority, in this case to the international judges. This would be similar to someone who is protesting you and simply says: I am right (and you are wrong) because I have been on a protest committeen (and you have not) or a teacher who says that s/he is right because s/he studied this material much longer than you did.
I am sure that these judges know the rules. Yet, do they know WHY a particular rule is implemented? That is an entirely different story. If you really want to prove that digital compasses create some kind of magnetic influence that distorts other compasses - as you claim - please provide some real evidence, instead of some anecdotal kind of evidence.
I am not trying to upset you, I just think that the magnetic influence you talk about is absolute nonsense.
Please prove me wrong so that I can see the light instead of some shadows in my cave!

Georg

Back