Older style (1990s) Jib traveller system query

andycam

Hi guys,

I have an older 470 that I'm in the process of getting back on the water. It was manufactured in 1994 by Dinghy Sports, an Australian boat builder.
I'm slowly working out the rigging and cockpit layout, mostly from stalking this Forum, but the one thing I cannot get my head around is the Jib traveler adjustment/system.
I'm pretty sure that I have a "twing" (is that the right term..?!) set up, as there is definitely no traveller track on the hull as I have seen in other photos online.
I'd prefer not to have to worry about attaching tracks etc, as I don't think the hull has the necessary reinforcement to attach these. Plus, if I don't have to spend more money than needed, then that's a good thing....

I think someone (Lali..?) has mentioned the twing thing a couple of times on this forum, and also seems to have suggested that it is a pretty good setup, certainly for recreational sailing, which is all I'll be doing in this boat!

So, can anyone link me to some pictures, or a description, of how a twing Jib adjustment works on a 470, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Hi Andy,

I didn't know Dinghy Sports used to build 470s! Not many (if any) found their way to the Northern Hemisphere, unlike the Mackays/Martens from NZL, or even a few PSA-built Lasers.

I don't have any picture material of the twing (or "barber hauler")-style jib leads at hand right now, but we'll see what turns up during the day :D

Please post pictures of your boat, especially of the area of the side tanks between the main traveller and the spinnaker bags so we can see what you already have there.

_

So... on Saturday I went to two local clubs that used to have many 470s. The catch was two boats, one from about 2010 and another from the late 70s, and both had tracks for the jib. (Looked like the original twings had actually been "updated" relatively recently on the old boat.)

Then yesterday I tried to find something on the net, but twing-ish foresail leads seem to be found almost exclusively on big boats today. 505s do use trackless systems, but they work too differently to be of any help here. The best shots I could find are of a Flying Fifteen (an Australian one, because of course :D ):

fwd-cockpit-ohead.jpg

jib-sheeting-detail.jpg

As you can see, there are numerous details that are irrelevant for a 470, but the fundamental principle of the twing should be clear. The floating block pulls the sheet downward, so pulling it further down has the same effect as moving a lead car forward on its track.

Now there are several choices how to run the line(s) between the lead block and the cleat, but Dinghy Sports probably figured out something smart and well-functioning for your boat at the time. Please post pictures!

_

Back