Old vang

TNT

After searching my butt off in this forum, I found all kind of solutions for the cunningham and boom vang. Since I'm a poor student, I can't affort buying the new stuff (owwww I would like to!). So I'll update my old. But I don't understand how to upgrade my boom vang! I researched all your ASCII layouts, studied on pictures from Roostersailing and sharpened my foreign languages on a German PDF (Upgrade_selfmade.pdf ). But I still don't understand how to attach the stuff... Could one off you please spare his/her time to point it out to me, I know it is a repeated request but I would really like it. How do you attach the lower block? This is what I'm trying to build:
pic.jpg

Tie the block new block (with some strong line) to the old block and (or) the pin. I actually have tied it to the old block with a loop and when I put the pin in, I slide it through the loop. It works great for me, although in strong winds I wish I had the swivelling cleat...

Hi,

I've made a few like your pic shows. This has a bullet cheek on each side of the old cleat block. They are held by one bolt that goes they the cleeks, the old cleat block and the swivel. I used a 3/16 by about 1 and 1/4 inch blot, and had to drill out the holes a bit. I let the other end of the cheeks float freely.

A good swivel is critical to making this work better. Also, you should try reversing the entire vang, so the swivel and cleat block are on the boom. This makes it much easier to ease and trim while on a reach or run.

I think micro cheeks would work well too, but I never tried them.

Al Russell 182797

Back