old style rudder

littleolson

opinions please: re: the old style rudder with brass bracket, pins and related parts. Could I pull the long, vertical pin and then drill a couple or three holes in the brass bracket in order to mount same on the stern with epoxy coated screws. This I hope would eliminate the rudders tendency to pop free from the excisting system. I would only have to then slip in the long, vertical pin and the rudder would have to stay put as the bracket would be permanently attached to the hull

li'l o,

Do Not Do It. It would work, but I see problems right away. First you lose the pop up feature on both the new and old rudder systems. Second, with no backing for the screws, they will rip out the first time you beach the boat and the rudder contacts the bottom or anything in the water. Third, should you have a port and install backing, you may damage the transom (rip a large hole in it). I recomend replacing the old with the new rudder system, yes it is big bucks, but it is the way to go. If that is not possible, once you get into deeper water, tighten down the wing nut firmly, this will slow down the number of time the old system will pop out. Don't forget to loosen the wing nut before beaching. Good luck.

Although Your suggestions are perfect and I won't proceed with my plans to mount the brass bracket there is one more thing. I have never seen the wing nut assembly system. My boat is pre 71 and the rudder hold down system has been incomplete/broken ever since I've had it. I have, via various threads, formulated what should be there but which I have never seen. When I got her there was a jerry rigged, hangar wire that someone had threaded down from the deck plate to the bottom groove in an effort to hold the bottom groved assembly up tight enough to keep the rudder from traveling. I jurry rigged anew with a type of picture hanging wire, anchoring same under the screws that hold the top plate on the deck-the short, rudder keeper pin runs through a loop in the wire and on the beach it appears that this might keep things in place. Sea weed has kept my feet on dry ground of late so I don't know if my new, wire system will hold her for now. All in all, no matter pricey or free I have to replace the whole, old assembly. I do though appreciate your reply so I need to find and purchase the new and complete assembly. I think I'll be wading through the muckish, seaweed today to hit the water again. If you never hear from me again it's because the rudder refused to allow me to tack back to my beach. Sorry to be so wordy

littleolson said:
opinions please: re: the old style rudder with brass bracket, pins and related parts. Could I pull the long, vertical pin and then drill a couple or three holes in the brass bracket in order to mount same on the stern with epoxy coated screws. This I hope would eliminate the rudders tendency to pop free from the excisting system. I would only have to then slip in the long, vertical pin and the rudder would have to stay put as the bracket would be permanently attached to the hull
The problem is that your deck plate is bent and that is causing rudder to pop out. Take off and straighten out
Herb

Back