old new laser

philipcosson

I have just bought a laser (72166). It is basically in new condition having been in dry storage for 18 years. I have everything original.

I have three questions:

1) how old is it? is there a way to tell exact date of manufacture from number?

2) the sails are smooth, pearly white and shiny - not dacron. What material is this?

3) the M-Rig is an early variant rig for the lighter sailor. It uses the same bottom section, but has a shorter top section. Does anyone have any idea of portsmouth number for this rig?

Cheers

Philip

I can only shed light on the year question.
The older boats serial number on the transom had the year as the last 2 numbers.

M rig is probably similar rating to 4.7. don't know if there is one though. probably 110 or so. But it is just a guess.

I have just bought a laser (72166). It is basically in new condition having been in dry storage for 18 years. I have everything original.

I have three questions:

1) how old is it? is there a way to tell exact date of manufacture from number?
Built in 1979

The M-sail is from Haarstick, the former sailmaker for official sails forthe Laser (haarsticksailmakers.com). This sails have been more smoth, during the 70ties /80ties, so one may think it is not made with dracon, but they are made with dracon. I have a Lasersail of the first laser series of Laser (Elvstoem, no window in the sail). Those sail are again more smoth than the sails of Haarstick...
The "Yardstick"-number for Laser is: 113A, Radial is 114 and 4.7: 126B. So the M issomething about ~114.
Ciao
LooserLu

The only thing I will mention is this....
I recently purchased a very old laser (number 13985!!!) which, likewise, had been dry stored for most of its life. The hull and deck are about as stiff as a new one. However, after a few months hard racing, the usual small cracks appeared along the cockpit side/floor area.
I thought nothing of it, except in a grand prix event recently the floor split open, and i almost sank. (It was a bit rough at the time!)
Keep an eye out for cracks like that, I have a sneaky suspicion that the builders back then didnt take quite as mch care in their craft!

Back