old grey sail

Halfjack

Dad & Lad
I like to keep things as cheap as possible, and have scrounged together a funtional recreational sunfish with its old sail.

1) What can I do, if anything, to help extend the usage and appearance of a worn sail?

2) Can a formerly "good" sail be stored for years and still be "good"? How would I know?

3) When I do buy a new sail, what's the main practices for making them last as long as possible (lakes-only sailing)?

Thanks!

I like to keep things as cheap as possible, and have scrounged together a funtional recreational sunfish with its old sail.
1) What can I do, if anything, to help extend the usage and appearance of a worn sail?
2) Can a formerly "good" sail be stored for years and still be "good"? How would I know?
3) When I do buy a new sail, what's the main practices for making them last as long as possible (lakes-only saili
Some thoughts:
1) if its faded you can't do much, but if its dirty you can wash it with soap and water by hand - NOT in a washing machine! To extend its life, store it inside. Keeping it out in the sun is a fast way to age a sail. Sun just kills them.
2) Certainly, unless a rat or something eats holes in it. For recreational sailing, a "good"sail is one with no big holes and all the gromments.
3) loosening the outhaul and cunningham after sailing so the sail does not get stretched, putting it somewhere to dry after use, and as mentioned, keeping it out of the sun.

Have fun!! BB

Back