OLD but NEW Full sail... Is it better or worse?

ChalmersP

Hey guys! I came across a old full, It has the class sticker, and 3.8oz cloth, but no royalty button, or brand name... The cloth seems very stiff, like alot of resin was used. The numbers are 2257, nothing in front or behind! Just 4 digits! They were put on with magic marker, with precision, not just scribbled on... My coach thinks this was a sail used by a big shot, because back in the day, people didnt use the sticker numbers on their sails due to weight and windage... He was also a sailmaker, so I believe him! :p Back to the point... Lets say this sail is 15 years old, but in excellent condition... Would the cut of the sails from now to then have changed? Should I NOT use this sail for some reason?
Thanks guys! Im really confused!

yea same here I found one of the same sails.....I asked the master of sailing at my club( he owns laser #1287) about the legality of the sail.He says that they shouldnt give you any trouble with the sail.

Good! I was thinking that it not having the button would be a big problem... I know ill need it for big regattas, so I guess until then, ill use this sail!

What do you want to use the sail for? Old sails should be legal, but for really big time regattas, you should get proper numbers.

If you search the Forum, you will find that there have been legal sailmakers other than North and Hyde.

Well currently, its all I have as a race sail! Im trying to go to Orange Bowl this year, and if I were to go, id definitely get a new sail. But until then, I really have no other choice!
Thanks

Back