Old 1950's Sunfish

JohnLB

I have a very old wooden sunfish that I am considering restoring. Can anyone provide me with the best route in restoration, and if there is any value to an old Sunfish? Believe me, this is one of the first, if not the first!

If you search the forum you will find a good bit of info on old woodies. I wouldn't expect a monetary windfall though.

Thank you for the reply. I am new to the Sunfish Forum and will certainly be looking through the forum for more information on Woodies!

Hi John,

I built a wooden Sailfish in the 1950's and restored a wooden Sailfish several years ago so maybe I can help. Among other things, I had to completely replace the deck. Obviously, the amount of work depends on the condition of your boat. Does it just need refinishing or is it damaged and parts are missing?

I suggest you go to the sunfish_sailor site (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor) and look in the section "Files > Classic Wood Fish 1945 - 1966". You will find a parts diagram and the construction manual for building a wooden Sunfish. This should aid you in your restoration project.

I agree that a restored wooden Sunfish will probably not have much value. It took me two months to sell my restored Sailfish and I only got $200 for it. People don't want a wooden boat due to the preceived maintenance problems.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Judkei
Reno, NV

Back