Oberlin, Ohio Laser Sailing?

Laser162540

My son has just decided to attend Oberlin College in Oberlin,Ohio. It appears they used to have a sailing team or club, but that it is no longer active. However, he would much rather keep sailing a Laser, than a 420 or FJ sailed in college programs.

So, being from Texas, my questions are:
1) Is there an active Laser Fleet close to Oberlin, Ohio, and where do they sail? Who is the fleet captain or contact?
2) Should we haul my son's Laser up to Ohio from Texas for sailing during the academic year?
3) Is there a club with an active Laser fleet close to Oberlin that has a membership level suitable for a college student w/o much funds to join for the academic year?

Thanks,
Sandy Denison
Laser 162540

PS My son sails Laser 176223.

My son has just decided to attend Oberlin College in Oberlin,Ohio. It appears they used to have a sailing team or club, but that it is no longer active. However, he would much rather keep sailing a Laser, than a 420 or FJ sailed in college programs.

So, being from Texas, my questions are:
1) Is there an active Laser Fleet close to Oberlin, Ohio, and where do they sail? Who is the fleet captain or contact?
2) Should we haul my son's Laser up to Ohio from Texas for sailing during the academic year?
3) Is there a club with an active Laser fleet close to Oberlin that has a membership level suitable for a college student w/o much funds to join for the academic year?

Thanks,
Sandy Denison
Laser 162540

PS My son sails Laser 176223.

Sandy, as of Friday I am the ex-secretary of Laser District 18, of which Ohio is a part. The closest club to Oberlin with an active laser fleet is Vermilion Boat Club on Lake Erie. It's a large club. I don't know what their membership levels are. One thing you have to remember about Ohio is that the water freezes in December and doesn't thaw until April, so that limits the season. There may be some frostbiting at Vermilion but I don't know. This would require a very good wetsuit or a dry suit. You are in luck as far as finding out more about Vermilion, as the new district secretary is a member there. Talk to John Shockey Vermilion Boat Club, http://www.vermilionboatclub.com/, 5416 Liberty Avenue, Vermilion, OH 44089. His e-mail and phone number is here: http://d18.laserforum.org/?Contact

Welcome to Ohio and good luck,
Janet Rupert

As someone who sails in Cleveland, just get hom a sailing simulator for the computer. Maybe you'll have two weeks into September to sail, but then you have a cold winter and the water won't be decent until May, and he should be going home around that time. So, I would say, don't mess around with a Laser, if there's no sailing... there isn't any anywhere else. Tell him to get a job on campus so he can make enough money so he doesn't have to work over the summer. -Dan

Well, there is some frostbiting in Ohio. At my club on an inland lake we sailed into December. I also recall that there was frostbiting at Mentor Harbor Yachting Club, 5330 Coronada Drive,
Mentor-on-the-Lake, Ohio 44060. Bill Kubicek, 440-951-0155.

You didn't have to be a member to sail and you could leave your boat there. I don't know if Bill is still doing that this year.

Back