novice questions

jgroden

Hi
My name is Joe, I recently bought a house on a large lake in Maine. It came with a laser sailboat, probably a good 20 yrs old but in reasonable shape. I can sort of basically sail it, but I have a couple of questions...
Taking it out recently with a friend on a fairly windy day, we did well for a while but then capsized it. In trying to right it I stood on the center board. I weigh 150 lbs, but couldn't seem to right it without an assist from my friend. I need to be able to take it out alone and be able to right it myself. Any help on this? Would intentionally swamping it near the shore be a good way to practice? And can I expect it will inevitably capsize from time to time anyway?

Also the boat doesn't have a boom vang. It seems to sail ok (I have no real interest in racing it), but will its absence cause the boom to detach from the mast if it goes over? That happened and was a hassle. Where would be a good place to get one?

Finally, is there a way for 2 people to comfortably be in it? My friend and I were getting in each other's way and I'd like to be able to take my wife or son out with me?

Thanks so much for any help

You need a vang! It'll be a lot easier (and safer) to sail with one. The boom will stay attached to the mainsheet if you capsize, but keeping the boom on isn't the purpose of the vang, it's used to control the boat. Invest in one!

There's a technique for recovering from a capsize (the best is to be quick over the side as it goes over and dry capsize) but then you need to raise the boat head to wind. Pulling the boat up with the wind behind you will be a lot of effort and pulling the boat up with wind infront of you will whip the sail over too quickly for you to recover. a bit of bouncing swings it round to wind usually. Others will have better tips I should think. I've not owned the Laser long (though I've capsized a lot in other boats!) and I've only been over once in mine.

Two people isn't really a feasible option from the Laser.

Back