not too early?

V

VBClaserJ

i am hosting a regatta this spring sometime in mid/late April on Lake Erie. the water temp can be from 35-45. is that too cold? as long as wetsuite are worn will this temperature be managable for the sailors?

as long as everyone is properly prepared, you'll be fine.

Been to a few events up North in February and so, and the NOR will state wetsuits /drysuit mandatory, just like lifejackets.

Just make sure everyone is geared up.

VBClaserJ said:
i am hosting a regatta this spring sometime in mid/late April on Lake Erie. the water temp can be from 35-45. is that too cold? as long as wetsuite are worn will this temperature be managable for the sailors?

Here's a thread that talks about wetsuits/drysuits and cold:
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1026&highlight=wetsuit+cold

I think I would wear my drysuit with water that cold--2 to 7 C. What might the air temp be?

Merrily

Just a thought about sailing regattas and the effort to put them together and the possibilities of success and maximizing those possibilities.
If you hold a regatta on lake Erie before the middle of May you will eliminate all but the lunatic fringe who will sail anywhere anytime anybody else will join them

If you are insulted, get over yourself. I am talking about people like me. I am one of those racing addict nutcases who would show up for a freeze your ass off event. But the fleet would be really small.

My suggestion? Move the event to a warmer time when lots of people wll be interested in the game you are hosting. You will need the exact same amount of promotion, effort to find committee help, effort to find food and awards, and more people will show up to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

the regatta unfortunately has to be in late April, because i am a student doing this regatta as a graduation project. This regatta i can almost ensure will be funfilled, competitive, safe, and with killer tropheys that i'll be hand crafting at a wooden boat workers. I would love to have as many competitors show up as possible, there is a good junior fleet on Laker Erie(i am apart of) however i think alot of the sailors lack the go big go home enthusiasm. But i have spoken with many and this should be a fun regatta with turnout of young and old. The air temp could be anywhere from 55-80, and with sun could be a terrific regatta. The regatta will be in Vermilion Oh, at Vermilion Boat Club(VBC), however will be run seperately from the club. the regatta will be a one day event, however i plan for it to be a fun and social experience for everyone. I may add some kind of wetsuit as a requirment because safety in this water is a def. I personally did alot of traveling last spring, which was great, but a nice little icebreaker near home in the midwest cannot be overlooked by you guys. please come and show up for this, i would love to throw a massive fleet regatta that could get some major attention!! with any questions or early RSVP'S!!!! call or email
614-256-2254
[email protected]
john

post it www.laser.org under the racing link.

it is really easy. make a NOR and Sailing Instructions. You can find generic ones around. Try and get it on a website at the yacht club or make a word document into a webpage and host it through your school's webspace.

I wanna go! But I already know that the answer from my parents will be "no" 'cause of hypothermia ect... :( Too bad it couldn't be later in the spring.

john-
i sail for NCYC and i think id really want to come... this year im gonna sail laser so when the time gets closer keep the info comming.

-cait

p.s. were you at semis at NCYC?

my brother kevin was...i missed out on the cut. i was there for a day to see a day of racing, what is your last name i might know who you are..i sailed out of VBC all year on laser...glad to hear interest for the regatta as well! i'm planning on it being a super time!

ohhh ok... because i stayed that first night with all you VBC people in luna pier. i think i remember you leaving early. maybe you remember me?

yea i kind of remember you...you sailed 420 though. Are u gonna sail full rig laser or what?

Very funny, Fred, but you've hijacked the thread. Start your own darned thread! VBClaserJ don't need no Texans stealing her sailors, either. You are sooo rude!

Merrily

Whoops....I posted the note about Easter in the wrong thread. It was meant to be placed somewhere else and if I knew how to edit I would fix the post above. meanwhile...

Go Joe Pa and the Lions...Whump Merrily's Buckeyes this weekend!!!

Back