NOR, 24 Hour Endurance Race, May 28-29

Merrily

Administrator
Hey, Laser sailors! I'm getting a team together for this event. It is at Leatherlips YC, Powell, Ohio. You will need a/some sponsors to contribute to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. There is camping allowed with your own equipment at Leatherlips, and I will have a Laser tent set up for rest and refreshment. Come join my team for the challenge or bring your own team from your club!

The following announcement is by organizer A.J. Savage from the Main Sheet, newsletter of Leatherlips YC.

THE INAUGUARAL “24 HOUR ENDURANCE RACE” SET FOR MAY 28 - 29

The Situation: It's the last race of the series, and you and your boat are really fast today. You take an early lead and all looks good for you to win the race and the series. Then it happens- the shift/lull/traffic/log/manatee that allows the closest competition to slip by. But today is your day. You hit the shifts, and your boat speed is fantastic! As you head up the last leg to the finish, you gain on you nemesis- one boat length here, two more on the next tack. But you are running out of time as the finish draws near. You are clearly faster, but there just isn't enough race course. Your hopes of winning the series begin to fade as you think, "If I only had ten more minutes..." We'll give you 23 more hours!!!

Announcing the 24 hours at LYC! Get a team together for one of the most unique races in the country and race your one-design for 24 straight hours. Modeled after the Southport 24 hour dingy race in England, competitors will race around a one-mile course beginning at 10:00 AM May 28th. Racers will compete straight through the afternoon, evening, and night- right on to the finish at 10:00 AM the following day. Like the Southport endurance race, this will also be a fundraiser for charity as we are currently partnering with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. All types of boats will compete against each other using the Portsmouth handicap system, so don't worry about getting other boats of the same class. The total number of laps that you complete will be multiplied by your Portsmouth handicap, allowing just one team to take home top honors. However, if 3 or more boats of the same class start, separate class awards will be given in addition to the overall standings.

Teams will be able to switch crew, sails, etc. as often as they like, but these pit stops will eat into your lap time, so plan them carefully. Fleets and other clubs are encouraged to pick some of their fastest boats and split up the sailing between 5 crews. But if you want to test your own personal endurance and sail all 24 hours yourself, that is also welcome. No matter what the approach, proper planning, teamwork and most of all, endurance, will take home the honor of finishing the inaugural 24 Hour race at LYC! Stay tuned to Leatherlips.com for the NOR and more details.

Re: 24 Hour Endurance Race, May 28-29

Wow. That sounds quite exciting, especially the sailing at night part. How does one sail a Laser at night? It isn't like you've got lighted instruments and deck lights like a keelboat, I guess you just try not to lose track of your lines. Is this a dinghy only event or are keelboats invited as well? It seems as if keelboats would have a distinct advantage since crew can sleep onboard between shifts: NO sleeping on your Laser!!

kch88 said:
How does one sail a Laser at night? It isn't like you've got lighted instruments and deck lights like a keelboat, I guess you just try not to lose track of your lines. Is this a dinghy only event or are keelboats invited as well?

From last year's discussion, I think they are going to issue light sticks for port and starboard lights. I also will have a flashlight on in my life jacket pocket that will aim up at the sail. I checked the calendar and it will be a new moon that night, so it will be very dark and exciting.

I suppose if they are one-design keelboats they could compete. Also, there is a 22 foot length limit on the reservoir, so I don't know which keelboats fit that category, but I guess there are a few.

I will e-mail the organizers to confirm these comments.

we should get a LASER FORUM team together, and travel up there and compete.

WestCoast said:
we should get a LASER FORUM team together, and travel up there and compete.

That would be cool! Come on over!

Hi Merrily,
Sounds like a blast! I've been night sailing a couple of times, State laws in Texas for a sailboat under 14' require a masthead light. The mast head light I used was a flashlight I tied through the loop in the top of the sail. It worked really well bcause it shined down onto the sail and swung back and forth illuminating the entire top half of the sail.
It is a great sail, you have the lake to your self and the night breezes seem much more steady then the daytime.
Flip side of the coin is it is dangerous to do solo....
Regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

fishingmickey said:
It is a great sail, you have the lake to your self and the night breezes seem much more steady then the daytime.
Flip side of the coin is it is dangerous to do solo....

There will probably be a few fishermen out on the reservoir, but the great thing is the sailing certainly won't be solo. Besides all the other sailboats, there of course will be race committee out in powerboats.

For craft under 16 feet in length, Texas laws merely require a lantern visible 360 degrees for 2 miles

http://www.boat-ed.com/tx/handbook/lights.htm

I can tell you the fine in 2002 was $234 for failure to have proper lights. So, after I paid the damned fine, I bought some clamp on red and green bow running lights, a 360 degree lantern for the end of the boom and a huge flashlight to shine on the sail.
I didn't need all that lighting but I was having fun.

Sailing a Laser at night is cool. the boat feels lots faster.

Oh yeah...the light is hung on the end of the boom so it will not blind the sailor. A overly lit boat is a lot like a campfire. You can see the nearby waves but no further.

remember...The other boats can't see you. If they do see you it is only pure luck. Wave that flashlight all over the sail, then hold it still on your numbers or insignia and then wave it more so they will not blast through you.

Recently, Lake Travis is too full of crazy drunk powerboat operators and I am way too fond of life to venture out on weekends or any busy summer night.

gouvernail said:
Recently, Lake Travis is too full of crazy drunk powerboat operators and I am way too fond of life to venture out on weekends or any busy summer night.

The section of O'Shaughnessy Reservoir where we'll be racing is a no wake zone, so powerboats don't blast through there. Lucky us!

Well, here's a bit of follow up on the questions raised so far. I'll have to get back to you on what the Columbus city code requirements actually are. We will have to have port and starboard lighting at the very least, but how to do that is yet to be determined. I'm sorry that I've had to post this before getting all the information, but I thought people would want to get it on their calendars and begin planning if they want to participate.
  1. The boat must have a Portsmouth number found here: [URL="http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/pyindex.htm"]http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/pyindex.htm[/URL]
  2. The boat must meet the Columbus city code requirements.
  3. Lighting will be the responsibility of the boat owner. West marine sells flashlight based portable kits.

Howdy, how many boats do you expect for this? I think my brother and I will be gathering a a couple others to join our team(laser). Also what are the prizes, and how much do you think registration will be?

lasersailorvbc said:
Howdy, how many boats do you expect for this? I think my brother and I will be gathering a a couple others to join our team(laser). Also what are the prizes, and how much do you think registration will be?

Again, I can't answer these questions yet, because that stuff hasn't been decided. Please don't despair--I will post an announcement as soon as I know. I just wanted y'all to get it on your calendars.

In the meantime, check out Vermilion Boat Club's May 6 regatta! Scroll down partway to read about it: http://d18.laserforum.org/

lasersailorvbc said:

As this is an inaugural event, it is hard to say how many boats there will be. Since any one design class with a Portsmouth number can participate, there may be large numbers of boats.

The prizes are trophies and these are the classifications: The number of trophies depends on the number of boats entered. At the very least there will be a trophy for the top corrected finisher, first place for any class that has 3 or more boats, an award for the top fundraising team, an award for the best-placed team that sails the entire race with no substitutions, and finally, a line honors award for the team that sails the most uncorrected mileage. If there are many boats entered, then there will be additional trophies for second and even third places, depending on numbers.

The entry fee is tentative right now, but may be $35 for an entire team. This does not include money for food or any souvenirs that we may come up with, because a team could be anywhere from 1 person to dozens. Registration should be completed at least a week in advance, as there will be a financial penalty for late registration.

Our Race Chairman, AJ Savage, is working on the NOR this weekend, so I hope to have more for you soon.

Merrily said:
At the very least there will be a trophy for the top corrected finisher, first place for any class that has 3 or more boats, an award for the top fundraising team, an award for the best-placed team that sails the entire race with no substitutions, and finally, a line honors award for the team that sails the most uncorrected mileage.

Merrily, this is like my 4th or 5th time coming across these words 'line honors'. I am not too sure cos hardly heard in dinghy racing. I heard it often for keelboat racing. Does it mean the first boat, regardless of handicap rating, to cross the finishing line will get the line honor title? :confused:

mee168 said:
Does it mean the first boat, regardless of handicap rating, to cross the finishing line will get the line honor title? :confused:

Exactly. I never heard of it before this race, but I haven't sailed in handicapped races much.

A great lighting option (not necessarily the cheapest) is to use LED nav lights like these from Tektite:

http://www.tek-tite.com/src/products.php?c=2161

They run forever on AA batteries and are super light. I do a lot of night sailing and kayaking on an inland lake (about 1500 acres) with'em. I wish the white stern light was a little dimmer, b/c it's bright enough to impair the night vision. Flip side is others can see you and you are fully USCG inland waters legal.

Please find attached the NOR.

Concerning the requirement to help with scoring, we are working on finding volunteer scorers for this event.

Attachments

• 24hourraceNOR[2].doc
    75 KB · Views: 44
I would love to make it if anyone needs someone to make up a team?

I've raced in the Southport race a couple of times and it is a crazy amount of fun. Southport is also helped by the fact that there is a beer tent and a disco tent that run through the night...

It's a great feeling coming off the water in your wetsuit, heading to the bar "on the way to changing" then dancing the small hours of the night away in your sailing clothes only to realize that you're back on in 5 minutes for another big breeze stint....

And oh boy... do you sleep when it's over!

So yes.. if anyone needs a team member, just let me know!

Regards,
T

The Inaugural Leukemia Cup 24-Hour Endurance Race

Hot Sun or Cool Rain,
The Darkness of Night,
Light Breezes and Strong Winds:
We have what it takes to sail through it all!

Do you want to donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, sponsor a team, or volunteer to help?

Contact AJ Savage @ [email protected] or check it out at www.Leatherlips.com.

Attachments

• 24hr-raceicon.pdf
    426.1 KB · Views: 40
merrily-

best of luck with your event.

Being a suporter & past chair of the Leukemia Cup Regatta in Dallas, I know you have a weighty task in geting people involved.

I think the 24 hour gig is a great idea & hope to nick your idea & introduce it to our White Rock Lake event. It is a perfect fit as White Rock doesn't allow motor boats (except for rescue/chase boats that belong to the club).

Again, best of luck & I hope you will let us know how things went once you have had some sleep.

cheers
David Butler
Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club/Corinthian Sailing Club

Thanks for the good wishes, Roshambo.

We got so excited when polishing our disco ball that we waived the late fee for this regatta. There has been a lot of latecomer excitement, and it is not too late to bring a team. We have three Lasers that I know of, two from my club and one from Vermilion BC. Any other Lasers planning to come? The NOR, Sailing Instructions, and Pledge form are here -- http://www.leatherlips.com/index.asp?subpage=24hour2.

And here is the weather forecast for this great event!
Sunday, May 28
02.gif
Very warm with plenty of sunshine. Winds from the ESE at 11 mph.High: 89° FRealFeel: 86° F
35.gif
Sunday Night: Patchy clouds. Winds from the ESE at 10 mph.Low: 64° FRealFeel: 62° FMonday, May 29
02.gif
Very warm with sunshine and patchy clouds. Winds from the SE at 12 mph.High: 89° FRealFeel: 86° F
35.gif
Monday Night: Patchy clouds. Winds from the SE at 11 mph.Low: 64° FRealFeel: 61° F

Back