NonCoast Guard approved PFD Can I Wear One

Ladiej

NonCoast Guard approved life vest i know that the floatation is not the same. But whats the differece. Will you get kicked off the water or some thing if its nonCoast Guard approved. Can i where it if its nonCoast Guard approved!

Re: NonCoast Guard approved PFD Can I Where One

NonCoast Guard approved life vest i know that the floatation is not the same. But whats the differece. Will you get kicked off the water or some thing if its nonCoast Guard approved. Can i where it if its nonCoast Guard approved!
I'm not too sure what you're trying to ask but you aren't allowed to use non coast guard approved pfd's anywhere in the US. The main reason people still buy them is because they are sleek and really comfortable.

Re: NonCoast Guard approved PFD Can I Where One

I dont know what approved ones look like, the only rule you have in Belgium where i live is that they have to be 50N... and i dont even think they're mandatory.
IF they are huge and orange, i wouldn't suggest them on a laser :cool:

Most race instructions simply call for "adequate personal flotation" leaving the decision up to you.

However US laws do call for you to have a coast-guard approved PFD aboard. So you could conceivably be cited not for having one. However, that seems like a pretty unlikely scenario to me.

That being said, most of the "bouyancy aids" do have less flotation, and if you ever get into the situation where you need the flotation (capsized, boat broke, exhausted, conditions rough and cold) that's when you'll want all the flotation you can get.

Back