No mainsheet block ?

oscodaboatguy

I was able to pick up a free Sunfish last Friday ( free is good ) it needs a small hole patched and a repaint but is complete. Here is my question, it has no Mainsheet Block and there are no holes where one could have / should have been only a small downfacing hook in the upper front of the cockpit is this normal ? I think this is an older Sunfish, it has a AMF plate on the deck with s/n 78594, is this now they came ( back in the old days )? Would it be best to add a block or learn how to sail it as it is ? New to sailing , so any help would be appreciated. * Almost forgot, if I remove all the deck hardware for painting will there be a problem putting said hardward back on , are there going to be backing plates / nuts molded into the hull ? Thanks again

That's perfectly normal for an old Sunfish. The hook was there to aid in holding the sheet. The first Sunnies didn't even have that. Get rid of it. Drill holes to put in a hexarachet.

Make sure you put a backing block (hardwood/aluminum/etc) under the new block when you install it. Unless you know a good knee surgeon, get rid of that hook. Also search the forum for past posts on this subject.

Back