No drain hole in lower section bottom plug?

Clive Humphris

ILCA Technical
I have just bought a new Radial lower mast section. When I got it home I realised that there is no drain hole in the bottom plug. It happens to also be a new type of moulding with a different rib design on the lower surface and purple instead of the normal white plastic. I have always understood that the function of the drain hole was to allow the water, that may seep in to the lower section on capsize, has a chance to at least drain out to deck level once righted after a capsize.
Does anyone understand if this is a deliberate change, and if so, what the theory is?
I will be phoning the dealer tomorrow to see if they have an answer!

Cheers,

Clive Humphris said:
I have just bought a new Radial lower mast section. When I got it home I realised that there is no drain hole in the bottom plug. It happens to also be a new type of moulding with a different rib design on the lower surface and purple instead of the normal white plastic. I have always understood that the function of the drain hole was to allow the water, that may seep in to the lower section on capsize, has a chance to at least drain out to deck level once righted after a capsize.
Does anyone understand if this is a deliberate change, and if so, what the theory is?
I will be phoning the dealer tomorrow to see if they have an answer!

Maybe the manufacturer just forgot to drill the hole....

Thanks for your replies on this. I have just learnt from Performance Sailcraft (the Laser manufacturer/supplier in Sydney) that they are sourcing the blue (not purple - I must be slightly colour blind) plugs for the Radial without a hole from the same source that all other suppliers are using around the world. The reason for using the blue plug on the Radial is that it is slightly a larger diameter and is thus less prone to dropping out. This makes sense as I believe the id of the laser lower is slightly higher than the full rig lower. I have also noticed that the white plugs are prone to falling out of the Radial masts. Performance Sailcraft went on to say that the 4mm drain hole is not specified by the class and could be added if required. I will see how I go without it for the moment!

Cheers,

The lower plug on all four of the lower Radial sections currently in my building are riveted in place with countersunk rivets. Every bottom plug on every one of the Radial lower sections has a hole in it.

With respect to mast butt plugs, there is no mention of a construction or fittings change in the ILCA handbook.

The ILCA rules are very clear.
"The principle of the Laser Class Rules is that no changes to the boat are allowed unless they are specifically permitted in the class rules."

Your piece of aluminum and plastic plug may be a fine looking piece of equipment but without a proper drain hole and rivets to hold it in place, it is not a Radial lower section.

Unfortunatly, the small ADVANTAGE to the builder's pocket gained by sloppily failing to properly build the Radial lower section has caused you to own an illegal piece of equipment. Tell your builder he should read the section about Cheating in the ILCA Handbook.
"Our class is much bigger than the odd person who wants to gain advanatage by illegally changing the Laser or its equipment. They can sail in other classes where the rules allow changes to a boat to get advantage. We do not want them with us."

Then tell him to drive to your home and fix his illegal part so you may use it in Radial races without being disqualified.

PS. Make him clean up the rivet cores and little plastic and metal filings from the ground

Finally, first sent to me by Ryan Minth, here is a link to the definitive audio about butt plugs.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/buttplugs.html

Enjoy!!

Back