Newer Laser Products

Rob B

I went to Mecca today, (APS in Annapolis) and saw modes of the other Laser products. The Bahia, Bug, Stratus? and the smaller, more sporty looking one. The one thing that struck me was all the hard chines on these boats and they were all designed by Jo Richards. Who's that?

Is the Laser the only round hulled bottom in the line of products now? I guess the snipe and Lightning hull designs had it right all along.

Anyway, it was great to mill around in that store and put my hands on all the cool Zhik gear. I also looked at the carbon tillers. IMHO the black diamond is still the best. They have made some small modifications to the tiller over the years and it is still the lowest profile and lightest carbon tiller.

I also got to play with a big Harken carbon wheel, (like you'd see on a TP 52). It's amazing how light those things are!

Also went to Middleton tavern and had a crab cake sandwich. That was good.

Anyway, it was fun. Just thought I'd share.

Nice... as it turns out, my father lives a half block from there... and since my birthday was last weekend he got me an APS gift certificate :D

Time to get an auto bailer (I don't have one at all right now!).

the metal plate falls of without tape, the clamcleat breaks,... did not hear many good things about the new Xd carbon tiller, to huge for my taste, saw them first this summer, looks "cool", but just a little to much. i stick to my rooster one. the pse store is cool indeed. the new tiller is already sold by dealers in europe sice this summer.

Rob, isn't "Mekka" here?:
Laser Direct
Station Works
Long Buckby
Northampton
NN6 7PF
Great Britain
http://www.lasersailing.com/disp/uks/docs/introduction
(It's the main/1st Laserstore in the home country of PSE Ltd.)
They actually sell the new officially "LasserXD carbon tiller" ( http://www.lasersailing.com/shop/uks/product/5690 )

But sure Rob, you've been at "Medina" ;)

LooserLu

Having had the piviledge of visiting 'Mecca' it really is not that impressive! A (large) corrugated shed next to some railway lines down a very narrow road! Having said that they had not long moved there when i collected my boat so things may have changed these days.

As for the XD carbon tiller what an awful piece of kit. You have to sand a fair it so much to make it fit! I have had 2 Rooster carbon tillers and used them on so many different rudders and never had any problem with them fitting snugly.

Back