Newbie Questions

lost@sea

It looks like I might be buying my first laser. I have sailed them previously at sailing camps when I was younger (probably around age 10) and I don't remember much other then they are a fun ride. I have a couple questions.
1. The boat is from 1980 and the owner says it has a "soft deck". What exactly does that mean? Can I expect to fall through hiking out sailing or the deck cracking if I car-top which is what I am hoping to do.
2. The isssue of car-topping. I checked my auto and it can handle 220lbs on the rack. I know how to secure it to my auto, but how far have others gone with a laser ontop of their roof? Any pointers for a long distance trip? The drive is going to be around 220 miles.

If I think of more concerns, I'll post them as well.
Dan

A soft deck is an issue. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I know it has to do with weakening of the fiberglass supporting the deck. Someone else will have to help you out with exactly how this works.
As for car-topping, a laser should weigh around 135lbs, so the racks will do fine. I use 2 rachet-straps i picked up at walley-world(my god i get lost in that store), then I put tie-downs on the bow and stern. You want to make sure that the racks are set so that the back rack is on the stern past the cockpit, and the front rack is as close as you can get it to the mast step, maby a little farther back. And don't forget to pad the racks before you put the boat on.

Dan, welcome back to Laser sailing! A "soft deck" could mean many things. It could be some minor flexing that shouldn't be an issue or it could be a major delamination between the fiberglass and the inside core. Its fixable but it all depends on how much you want to get into it and how much you are paying for the boat. Your best bet is to find your local fiberglass expert and have him look at the boat to tell you just how much of a project it will be. Ian's right about cartopping but I'd be careful with the ratchet straps as you really don't need that much pressure to hold the boat down. Good luck

Back