Newbe Questions

vamoose

Hello All
Thinking of buying a Sunfish and have found a recreational equiped boat in new condition. Now my Question what is nessary to upgrade for racing?
Thanks
David

To race it you are really going to need a racing centerboard (white and a few inches longer), and a racing sail (white and is a few sq inches bigger and has a little better shape to it). Some stuff that would prolly help you out, are a hicking strap, if you don't have that, and a universal tiller if you don't have that too.

A few figures from the last time I checked (they most likely have gone up since then)
Racing sail $325
Plastic daggerboard $169
those two items are manditiory for racing as you won't finish on the same day with a wooden dagger board and a recreational sail against boats equipped with them.
Other items I can't remember pricing on:

Hiking strap and mounting hardware
Adjustable gooseneck.
mast cleat
clam cleats and line for adjustable cunningham and outhaul.
Traveler without center loop and removable pulley
Centermounted main sheet ratchet block with eye strap and hold up spring and optional outboard cam or clam cleats.
Telltales both for sail and wind direction.

And JMHO but your first purchase should be a copy of the Sunfish Bible available from the Sunfish site.

Hello
Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated. Now the next question who makes the better sail for the racing Sunfish and who is the supplier of Sunfish gear such as the centerboard, tillers etc.
Thanks again
David

The sail and the daggerboard are only from a Sunfish dealer if you want to race as they have to be class approved. The other stuff can be from any marine source.

Hello All
Thinking of buying a Sunfish and have found a recreational equiped boat in new condition. Now my Question what is nessary to upgrade for racing?
Thanks
David

Somewhat in contrast to the other comments, I will say that you don't need anything extra for racing, other than good spirits (no, not the liquid kind). If you don't come in first with the 'old' equipment, you will have an excellent excuse. As a matter of fact, I have a Sunfish friend who is still quite competitive with the 'old' equipment (board and sail); he is just a good sailor.....

Don't remember seeing a suggestion on a tiller extension with universal, either, nor a bungee daggerboard retainer (any kind, mostly safety to keep the daggerboard in the boat in a capsize). It's worth your time to just show up once with what you have and compare it to what the others have. Yeah, you'll likely get trounced (I did), but then you can compare what you have, prioritize what's most important to you first, learn what you can do on your own and what you'll be required to buy (per Class rules), etc. It's a very rare thing for a sailor to jump into a Sunfish and win. There's plenty to learn, plenty that's adjustable, and great friendly people who are here to help. If you ask, folks will help you set up for the best you can for that first day ...

Gail
Thanks for you support, I think I will take you up on your suggestion to just show up and take a look at what others have done.
Thanks again
David

Back