New to the Forum, just bought a Sunfish, and have a concern.

raleigh97

Hey Y'all,

Sunday, I went and got 2 Sunfish boats (Old Style Rudder). Got them for a pretty good deal with a trailer. The trailer only had 1 boat, so we stacked them onto of each other and strapped it down. I will be building a custom trailer to carry 2 boats in the near future.

I when I got them home I took a good look and everything seemed fine. I raised the sail and everything looked in really nice shape. It rained and I had left my boat out, when I got home from school, I opened the inspection port and noticed that there was a little bit of water in side the hull. Is this normal? Its not that much and I can't seem to get it out. I tried flipping the boat over on the grass and tried to get my hand inside with paper towel but thats not really working either. Is this small amount of water even negligible? Your advice is certainly appreciated.

Depends how the water got in...

Condensation is possible. That would not be a serious concern.
Also a poorly sealed drain plug isn't such a big issue. Just fix the plug.

But if the rain got in through the hull-deck seam or other leak... you might have a problem.

You'll find all sorts of info about how much added weight is a positive indication of a problem.

I would re-bed all deck hardware first. Then see if you still get water in. Yu could then do the leak test if you continue to get water in the hull.

Back