New (to me) Sunfish

dacsus65

I was just given a Sunfish by some good friends who've had it on a dolly outside for years. I don't think it has been used, other than by me two years ago, in five or six years. I went to take it out last season and the hull seems to have water in it. The family did not do anything about it and it still has water in it.

So, how do I drain the hull? What damage should I be looking for? The boat is for me and kids to go and have a ball in at the local lakes. Can it be used in the ocean near the beach, I'm new to this class.

Thanks!

David

There should be some sort of drain plug on the starboard (right) side. Unscrew it, and stand the boat up on its side, and let the water drain out. If the boat hasn't been used much, that (and a good cleaning) may be all you need. But, perhaps it would be prudent to leak test it. Serach this forum, or the yahoo group, and you will get detailed instructions. But basically, use that same drain plug hole to pressurize the inside of hte boat, and brush soapy water on the hull to see where air is coming out.

Thanks very much. I'll try to get to the boat this weekend to drain it so I can get it into my truck for the ride home. Anything else I should be looking for as far as damage to the hull from the water? Is there anything inside that can rot?

I'm working my way through my own first sunfish restoration, so others may be able to offer more experience than I. But, a couple of things I have learned in my own research/repairs
- The older style rudder (pre-1972) has a wood backing block. It's probably pressure treated, but it's wood, and could rot. There are kits available to replace the whole thing, they run around $400. If your long term plans include racing, you will need it. Also, if you are thinking of sailing in larger waves (I sail on a small lake), you probably want the newer rudder.
- older boats also had a wood block for the bow handle.
- the centerboard trunk seems to be a common area for leaks.
- the foam blocks inside the hull were held in place, in many boats at least, with an expanding foam. They can become detached, softening the hull. My next big chore is figuring out how to re-attach a couple without pulling the top off the boat (that idea scares me)

The pressure test thing is pretty effective, and in my case showed that some damage that looked more serious happened to be airtight, while one small ding that looked like nothing was a serious leak. So, i reccomend that process highly.

good luck!

Thanks for the insight. I think this boat has the newer rudder attachments. I doubt (at this point) I'll be racing anytime soon ... to do that the boat isn't the only thing that needs to get into shape.

Keep posting how your project comes along. I'm going to pick up the boat this weekend (I hope) and get it into the basement so I can work on it this winter.

hey im in the same boat (Ha pun intended!) yeah i drained it with the plug, soooo much water came out. but not all it was still very heavy.
So i just finished installing an inspection port this morning and am hoping to get all of the water out. The yahoo group (sunfish_sailor) is really helpful with instructions, manuals and such that were uploaded there. If the floatation blocks are compromised then thats a project and a half- and you wont know this unless you have an inspection port. I decided to install on cause i figured if it took on water, then it will probably still do so and the port will make it easier to dry out.
My "splash guard" or whatever you want to call the V thing, was loose and that where most of the water came in being stored deck up outside for 20 years. So i caulked that instead of replacing the pin rivets.
Awesome!! Im determined to get this thing out before the season ends!! All the best on any repairs or such that you do!! Oh and you can most likely tell the year by the last 2 digits on the serial #. Mine's an '81

Bah, the wife nixed picking up the boat last weekend. Must get there soon, the season in New England ends soon. I figure I've got another week or two, then I'm shut out. The local "yacht club" had their closing regatta this weekend.

I just got 3 used sunfish for our family and took them out on an ocean cove this weekend. I need a lot of advice.

1. what trailer should I get to go over soft granular sand and a rocky clay beach?
I am thinking of getting an ATV to haul them from the beach to the house. I have looked at Seiteck, Wheelee, and a few centerboard type. If I haul by myself, I'll be dead if the weight isn't on the wheels. I am afraid of plastic rims, and plastic joints breaking on a trailer.

2. Also I need new parts, where is a good place to get them reasonably? I don't need racing gear. The kids are learning

3. If I have leaks, I saw someone wrote, use soap, air pressure and look for bubbles. Is that the method? and how do you fix them?

Back