Question New to Lasers

Parkerbriz

I have what I believe to be 2 laser 2’s, but I have been having issues finding parts for it because I keep seeing differences between my laser and the gear most other ones have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ps does anyone know what the plastic jugs inside the boat would’ve been used for?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 36
The pictured boat is Laser 2 number 7068, built in March 1988 by Laser International in Hawkesbury, Ontario.

I have been having issues finding parts for it because I keep seeing differences between my laser and the gear most other ones have.
Sounds like the ”most others” that you’ve seen are actually Lasers. This boat is NOT a Laser (ILCA). It’s a Laser 2, which, despite many superficial similarities, is a very different boat. The rule of thumb is that if something is applicable to the Laser, it’s NOT applicable to the Laser 2.

The sad thing is that the Laser 2 doesn’t exist anymore as a one-design racing class. New boats haven’t been built for nearly 20 years, and class-specific spare parts are hard to find. Actually, if you really have two boats, you can use the other for spares, and get at least one boat on the water.

What specific parts do you need? I can try tracking down some.

_

I have what I believe to be 2 laser 2’s, but I have been having issues finding parts for it because I keep seeing differences between my laser and the gear most other ones have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ps does anyone know what the plastic jugs inside the boat would’ve been used for?
Yes, Laser2's, and floatation is correct. We used to sell these at our dealership. What do you need? Or we can at least tell you what is not available.

I'm still working on figuring out all the rigging and whatnot. I'm getting new running rigs, standing rigs are good so far apart from the adjustment clasps. I will install a big rectangular watertight deck plate on either the front deck or I'll replace the 2 forward inspection ports with it. This is for access to repair the bow damage. I'm missing an auto bailer and I believe some cleats/blocks. I was wondering if anyone could help me point out which deck hardware I'm missing. I'm a total stranger to laser rigging so I can't tell what's missing. Thanks!
(If any more pictures are wanted lmk)

Best to always refer to your Laser 2 as a Laser 2 (not just a Laser) otherwise you'll get the wrong info, because most parts are not interchangeable, plus some Laser 2 parts no longer available. Like the daggerboard and mast. If you still have the daggerboard... when out on the water, make sure that is tied to the boat so not lost in a capsize. These two parts cannot be replicated and are specific to the class of boat. If you go much bigger with access ports you'll start losing hull stiffness and integrity.

Oh, also original bailer, a plastic unit is no longer available. You'd have to go with an Andersen Super Max (made of stainless steel), and the mounting holes are off a bit (fill and redrill hull) and some of the mounting surface on the bailer may have to be trimmed away to fit down in the shallow cavity.

I will install a big rectangular watertight deck plate on either the front deck or I'll replace the 2 forward inspection ports with it. This is for access to repair the bow damage.
:eek: No you won’t! The bow looks totally repairable from the outside, and if you absolutely need access to this spot, install a max 153 mm round inspection port (like the ones on the bulkhead) off the centreline. Do NOT mess with the existing bulkhead ports, they look perfectly fine!

I was wondering if anyone could help me point out which deck hardware I'm missing. I'm a total stranger to laser rigging so I can't tell what's missing. Thanks!
(If any more pictures are wanted lmk)
Looks like you’re missing the spinnaker equipment (except the spinnaker bag attachments), mainsheet cleats, and fairleads for the trapeze take-up elastic. And yes, the bailer, which is its own story with its own thread.

And one more time, that is not a Laser. It’s a Laser 2. You don’t call grapefruits ”grapes”, either :rolleyes: The reason I’m nagging about this is that you don’t waste your money on useless ”Laser” parts. (Like The Sailboat Doctor said a few minutes ago ;) )

(Did you say you have two boats? What does the other look like? Do you have spars and sails for both?)

_

Back