new to laser sailing--how to speed up

brlaser

Greetings from Baton Rouge, I just picked up a 79. A friend gave it to me. No trailer though, sail looks well used and it has battens. Rudder and board look good. She's in need of some loving care and I can't wait to get her going. I have a older o'day daysailer. She's kind of sluggish. I used to sail a Star up in N.H., In the late 70s. Any suggestions. I think a newer sail and an auto bailer and a stern plug along with some new lines and an inspection port should get me back in business / the need for Speed.

Re: new to laser sailing

brlaser said:
She's kind of sluggish. I used to sail a Star up in N.H., In the late 70s. Any suggestions. I think a newer sail and an auto bailer and a stern plug along with some new lines and an inspection port should get me back in business / the need for Speed.

Is there any water inside? I ask that especially because you say you need a new stern plug. If she's heavy that will slow her down.

thanks for the reply, there was some water but the boat is turned over now and seems to be drained out. Its a 79 and I am getting a parts list together, odds and ends. Whats the best source for parts, I've been on back yard boats, e-bay has really nothing today, are the bailer and stern plug specific for the 79 model ? I'd like to get it back together, I can sail almost any day here in Baton Rouge !!!! thanks, Greg

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE, as per sailor327, I ordered some badly needed parts at WestCoast Sailing, Bought a new hiking strap on e-bay, some lines at Layline. Just waiting to get it all together. Thanks for all the info.

Back