New to forum, got my first Laser

SteveON

After researching info and looking around for a fast dinghy I bought my first Laser yesterday. The S/N is PSL 12184 0174 which from what I can tell from the buyers guide should be a 1984 model? It's not my first sailboat (I have a Vagabond 14, Hobie Holder 14, Prindle 18, a Butterfly and a Mirage 5.5). I've only been sailing for two years but really enjoy it. I am a little apprehensive of the infamous instability of the Laser and I'm sure I'll get plenty of chances to practice capsize drills. BTW I'm 52, 6'2" and 245 lbs. I'd say I'm in average shape (I'm sure sailing the Laser will be some good exercise). I will be sailing on a fresh water lake in Central Texas (read lots of weird shifty winds)

The Laser seems to be in average overall condition. The deck and floor of the cockpit are stiff and the mast step only has a couple of small cracks in the gelcoat. It has not had the mast step repair done. The deck edge by the bow and starboard stern have been damaged and had really horrible repairs were accomplished by the previous owner. Globs of epoxy roughly shaped and not painted makes the boat look much worse than it is. The previous owner said the boat would take on around 1-2 gallons after a full day of sailing but he wasn't sure where the water was entering the hull.

The spars are straight and the rudder assy is all there and in good shape. The tiller handle needs refinishing and the tiller extention looks to be made of lightweight stainless steel tube (will need replaced)? The daggerboard is rough with another glob of a repair on the lower leading edge and several large chips of gelcoat missing off the trailing edge. The sail is not original nor is it race approved but its in good shape (still crisp with no tears). The hiking strap and all the associated hardware is missing. It does have a Harken rachet block and eyestrap for the mainsheet. Every line on the boat will need to be replaced. It has a Ronstan vang and the very basic sail controls (original outhaul/downhauls?) It didn't come with either a trailer or dolly.

The plan is on Monday I'll start cleaning up the boat and replacing lines. I have the missing parts on order from Intensity sail so once those items arrive I plan on installing them. I want to sail the boat for awhile to get used to it then I plan on "beautifying" her (remove ugly repairs and do them properly and paint top deck and sand/buff out hull). After all that is done I'll add the "go fast" goodies as the budget allows. I'm sure I'll lots of questions once that process begins. I have no plans on racing the boat since I work every weekend when they conduct the races.

I'm really glad I found this forum and look forward to learning/sharing information with other Laser sailors.
SteveON

Sounds terrific but we are a little concerned about taking on 1-2 gallons of water in a day's sailing. 8-16 pints sounds like a lot of litres. Check leakage from mast step by filling and checking next morning. Check all gunnel seams, soap, blow in air and watch for bubbles, resit all fittings with silicon, and finally (and it took us three years to find this leak) rear of centre board case. (tape bottom, fill and see what's left in mornining, double check by what's in boat)

Steve/Alex

I totally aggree about finding and repairing the leak. My Prindle 18 had a bad leak between the upper deck/lower hull at the aft inboard seam. It woud take on allot of water every time I sailed her. Had to pressurize the hull and use soapy water to find the leak. The laser hull is so much smaller/lighter. It should becan easier job. I fixed that leak be drilling small holes and injecting West Systems epoxy while using small clamps to hold the seam in place. Worked perfect and after sailing in some prett heavy winds those hulls are bone dry now. I just want to make sure I use as little epoxy as ossible to not add weight while still making a sold repair.

Back