New Tiller Design?

est8466

Eric Tucker
In looking closely at the photos from the O'Day Championships it looks like the charter boats have a new tiller that appears to be made of a material other than wood. Does anyone on the forum have any information about the Sunfish having a redesigned tiller?

I will have to look at the pictures more closely. The Windward Leg that came out in the spring mentioned that the production is changing to an all-metal tiller since Laser Performance is closing their woodshop. BB

In looking closely at the photos from the O'Day Championships it looks like the charter boats have a new tiller that appears to be made of a material other than wood. Does anyone on the forum have any information about the Sunfish having a redesigned tiller?

The tiller is now made from aluminum. No big deal, IMHO.

My guess is that the wood used for the tiller got too expensive and/or to make a tiller like the one on the Laser.

Very Observant! This was the first time they have been used. The upcoming Worlds boats will have the new tiller. I spoke to Brent, a product manager from Laser Performance and he said the high quality wood was becoming too difficult to find, therefore becoming expensive. This design came from other product they already make. I don’t believe anyone had an issue with the tiller functionality. It sits a little higher from the deck in normal sailing position (less deck scratches). Adding a pad to the bottom of the tiller would stop deck scratches in the rudder up position as well.

The only thing a little bit difficult is bolting the tiller to the rudder. You need (2) 7/16” sockets and/or nut drivers to make the connection. Both the nut and bolt are buried inside the aluminum tube so pliers or open end wrenches will not work. If you are going to the Worlds you will need to borrow or take these sockets. The washers inside the tube also get bent to the shape of the tube.

One time while luffing around and testing the starting line, the main sheet got caught on the aft end of the tiller tube at the rudder and did not want to release. I had to reach back to release it. Not unlike a laser main sheet on the back end of the deck. If that is the only issue, I think they will be a nice addition.

I first saw the new tiller about 2 months ago at work. It's nice but I'd rather have the wooden one. It is such a pain in the but to attach to the rudder, because as said before it is buried in an aluminum tube. When you see it you'll understand.

Back