New sail sags over lower spar

rbeaton

I put on a new sail the other day but noticed that the sail sags a bit over the lower spar (see attachment). I don't remember my last sail doing this. Is this normal, or is there something I can do to tighten things up a bit?

Attachments

• sag.jpg
    sag.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 75
It is really hard to tell what is happening from the picture. But, my guess is that the sail is cut fuller and/or your outhaul is pulled too tight on the boom. If your prior sail was pretty old and blown out, it may have stretched significantly which allowed you to tighten it that far out on the boom.

the sail is cut fuller and/or your outhaul is pulled too tight on the boom. If your prior sail was pretty old and blown out, it may have stretched significantly which allowed you to tighten it that far out on the boom.

I agree. That fold may go away once there is some wind pressure on the sail. Then you can adjust the outhaul properly. Bottom line : this is a good thing. :)

I'm with the "gaf is bent" club, and think it will stay as is until you decide to take everything off and bend back the gaf (a group of trees works well in this application).

As long as it's working fine, I'd also leave it along for now, and bend it back during the winter downtime...

Back