New Project: Add 2 to the local fleet.

uid100

I tried to keep the background brief, but this post got long in spite of me.

Background
After twenty-plus years away from dinghy sailing, I found my way back to the laser fleet about a month ago, and I'm having a great time and reasonable racing success re-learning small boat-handling. I won't use my 40 extra pounds as an excuse, but my body sure doesn't recover as quickly as it did back in college.

Part of what drew me back was wanting to introduce my teenage son to racing small boats. That led me to buy another boat last week. Sailing alongside and coaching from the water is so much easier and more enjoyable than tracing instructions in the sand and waiting and watching from the beach. My son's smart, he's tall and strong, and he's a fit High School athlete. I'm glad that he's excited about sailing (note: I actually just changed "happy" to "glad." I know it's cliche', but I don't think I've ever done that before). He's not quite secure enough to mix it up on a crowded, aggressive starting line, but I'm thinking he might be ready in another 6-8 weeks. Which leads me to the point.

The Project
Both of these boats have some years on them and were reasonably priced, but this second boat was a 'bargain.' I have no illusions about it jumping to the front of the fleet, but it's a good boat for learning, and when his abilities exceed the boat's, we'll either trade boats or simply upgrade the older one.

The Hull
The hull and deck feel pretty stiff to me, with no noticeable deflection. I believe it was primarily stored vertically on blocks supporting the deck above the transom. I think the last year or two were spent on a trailer, deck down. There are no visible ill-effects from any improper storage. Also, the boat -including the mast step- does not appear to leak at all. It is a white hull, built in the early 80s and with a little rubbing compound, most of the yellowing discoloration is gone and the original solid color is restored, although there are a lot of long surface cracks in the fiberglass that give the appearance that the hull's been dropped or strapped down too tight for a long period of time. As I said, feels ok, and it's not leaking. There's not much more we plan to do with the bottom.

The Sail
We put up the old sail that came with the boat, it was surprisingly fast in light air, but I don't have a lot of confidence that there's enough life left in that one for much more than that. My local Laser dealer had a couple of very lightly used class sails, and I picked up one of those for $125. I'll change the numbers to match the hull and call that good enough also.

Rudder & Daggerboard
The blades need some TLC, we'll start with some 600 grit paper and see if we can make progress on those.

Rigging
The rigging on the boat has not been upgraded and we're on not a severe budget, but certainly a limited one. The off-the-shelf rigging upgrade is close to the amount we have in the boat so far, so that's not an option at this point. Instead we're upgrading it piece by piece, in small, affordable bites.

We picked up some shock cord to replace what was worn out on the hiking strap, and the daggerboard, and added an in-haul. The vang was already turned over and a swivel added so we added a couple of 16mm airblocks (and a fast pin for rigging/unrigging) and we have a workable 8:1 system (with 5 'turning points.') Next, added some line and a couple of becket blocks and rigged a usable 6:1 purchase on the cunningham with the existing deck fairlead and clam cleat. For the outhaul, we added a small 'dinghy halyard' shackle and block for the 2:1 off the end of the boom and we also rigged a 3:1 purchase to the tail of that up to a turning block on the mast, but we're still using the old-school boom-mounted outhaul cleat. For now, we're using a piece of spectra core tied in for a clew tie down, but I'd like to get a velcro strap soon for convenience. I was lucky enough to have an extra carbon tiller and extension with my other boat, so I dodged a big expensive there. We were able to get all of this very workable with almost no cost, but the next step (cost) will be, in addition to sail #s and a clew strap, the double pad eye & fork blocks for the outhaul/cunningham. This will do 3 things, reduce (some) friction in the cunningham, change the lead for tightening the outhaul making it much easier to tighten. It is still led through the boom cleat, but setting to max ease is a simple matter of grabbing it on the boom and letting it go to a predetermined length, controlled by strategic knots. Finally and perhaps most importantly, it gives us someplace to attach the mast tie down. Without this, the only place I see to tie it is to the cunningham fairlead which is already a friction problem. The old vang is workable as it is, but I know we will want to add the new style outhaul/cunningham cleats after a while, but that's a hundred dollar expense I can defer for now.

Transport
We have a kitty hawk trailer and seitech dolly we bought with the first boat, but also on the list will be making a cradle to better hold and distribute the weight for deck-to-deck hauling to the water. For now, I have a pool toy "noodle" with a piece of PVC pipe slipped into the middle of it for stiffness and cut to fit in both mast tubes to keep them from sliding fore and aft and side to side, and we pad the decks with life jackets for the short ride to the bay, but we don't store them that way and having them supported primarily at bow and stern is less than ideal.

Next Steps
  1. polish the rust/pits/scratches off the blades
  2. clew strap & sail numbers
  3. add the dual pad eye deck plate and Harken fork blocks (and mast tie down)
  4. trailer "bunk" for deck-to-deck configuration.
My son and I are working on this together, and I'd much rather be doing that, but between work and other things around the house, it may take a while. And when we get blocks of daylight hours, water time takes precedence. I'll try and get some pictures of the progress as we go.

Am I missing anything?

That sounds great- Much better than what I am doing with mine as I have just upgraded the rigging and still have ancient class sails (1988ish). What my pay for itself in speed however- is to get the hull and give it a good wax and polish just to fill in any tiny surface cracks or dings. I have with mine and the difference is noticeable. Other than that- your sorted!

Happy sailing...

UID
You can get a 15:1 vang by adding 2 micro singles and a micro double with becket to the old vang. I have a pic posted in the 'show off your laser' thread, if you're interested.
Can you tell me how to get a decent class legal sail for $125?

Also, I highly recommend putting that steel plate at the bottom of the mast step.
You might also want to check the cockpit drain fitting. If it's original, its plastic. My boat developed a leak there ans I replaced the plastic with the brass fitting after sealing off the leak. Some of the resin was gone.
Have you re-seated all the fittings?

---snip---
Am I missing anything?

Congrats on making it a father/son deal, I did the same thing a few years ago, you should both have a great time along the way, and good memories down the road.

Some things I learned that you might consider:
1. Books/videos on Laser sailing - some kids can pick up a vast wealth of knowledge and skill by watching the top guys sail, and can be even more useful if combined/compared with video of themselves. Even Dads can benefit!

2. As his skill level increases, there may come a point where "listening to Dad" is no longer easy or productive for him (I know, it's hard for a Dad to accept), at that point consider outside coaching from someone who specializes in Lasers. Even a small block of 3 hours can really "charge up his battery", and keep him enthused about sailing

3. As the journey progresses, don't lose sight of why you are on it and why he is on it. Don't be afraid to change the goals, objectives and "destination", but just remember how and why you got started.

4. Don't be surprised or take it too hard if the journey ends before you want it to. Teenage boys go thru some big changes and a lot of outside influences which dads have little control over (girls, cars etc to name a few)

Depending on the type of racing you are planning on doing, you may want to look into the knock off fittings (cleat/cleat base and the deck padeye) offered by Intensity Sails http://www.intensitysails.com/ashufipa.html While not class legal, it's a good solution for local club racing if it's acceptable to the fleet. I know where I race for the local events, it's not an issue.

Thanks for the feedback...

...fittings... inspected all, reseated several.

...cockpit drain... inspected only. I plan to replace the springs in the bailer (both boats), so I'll take a closer look at that soon.

...mast step wear plate... short term, I'm planning to drop plastic "pringles" can lids in both mast steps, with a *small* drop of silicone to hold it but that I can still remove later. The mast tube tends to be a weak point in the boat, and considering the age of these boats, I've looked at them pretty closely and they are in surprisingly good shape, but in addition to the step, I also plan to add the class legal wear strips at the deck and at the mast base. We launch in sand and it isn't hard to imagine a little abrasion doing a lot of damage.

...class legal sails on the cheap... being in the right place at the right time. I recently bought a new one for the other boat so I feel your pain. At least one of the guys in the local fleet buys a new sail about every year and over time, I guess he was storing a lot of lightly used sails. He took them in to our local Laser distributor who in turn, made them available to his customers. I think I got the last.

... Intensity knock-offs... I looked into this and considered it as an option. As for cleats, I like the cam cleats a little better, so I'll wait for those. I did consider ordering the dual pad eye deck plate from them, but the cost I'd have saved on the parts, I'd have spent in shipping, so I'm leaning toward buying the 'legal' parts now. Also, I've had good and bad experiences with ordering from intensity, and the last one is kind of fresh in my mind.

...teenage boys... Yep. My other kids are in college and their interests and talents are many and varied, but sailing never really grabbed them like it did me. My son too has a lot of things going on in his life, including a girlfriend, but for now at least, I'm glad he's interested in sailing too, and I'm lucky that he wants to do that with me. As for coaching, I am more qualified than I let on, but I'm also very lucky to have many other local resources to draw from.

A month has passed. And it's been a busy month, including a 4 day weekend family trip, and another 4 day weekend getaway which did not include the "kids." Still, there have been as many sailing days as we have been able to fit in around my work days and his high school class and sports schedule. Sailing days have included a couple of days spent just sailing up and down the bay, learning how the boat tacks & gybes in different wind conditions, a day with about 5 other gentlemen from the local fleet practicing mark roundings and boat handling. Also, one of our local clubs has started their weekly (summer) evening race series which will continue through September, and my son has successfully completed the first two. In race 1, there were about 15 boats, he had already been told about right of way, and how to navigate around the (bay) course, so I gave him a last brief before sending him out in this very friendly, non-threatening fleet. I also gave him a quick simple introduction to racing rules (based on this site: http://www.sailingcourse.com/racing_rules.htm) Our goals were, complete the course, don't get discouraged, and don't hit anything or anyone.

I had a pretty good start, but went the wrong way on very light shifty first beat and got to the weather mark just behind the middle of the fleet, lost another boat on the first reach and turned to see him pretty far behind the fleet. I gybed around the second mark and sailed back to him and we sailed together the rest of the race. I was very proud of him when he finished. His mom (our shore crew that night) was standing on the beach and took a couple pictures of us downwind, which I showed him later and brought home why I (weight at least 35 pounds more than him) could sail faster downwind, simply by getting as much of the boat out of the water as I could.

So, after a month, we still have a growing list of boat projects but the ones that became first priority were, (1) new mainsheet, (2) remove the mainsheet cleats, and (3) more purchase on the vang (15:1 ... pictures to follow).

Also, he's hooked on racing and now we're working on keeping his focus on his grades just a little longer until the end of the school year.

A month has passed. And it's been a busy month, including a 4 day weekend family trip, and another 4 day weekend getaway which did not include the "kids." Still, there have been as many sailing days as we have been able to fit in around my work days and his high school class and sports schedule. Sailing days have included a couple of days spent just sailing up and down the bay, learning how the boat tacks & gybes in different wind conditions, a day with about 5 other gentlemen from the local fleet practicing mark roundings and boat handling. Also, one of our local clubs has started their weekly (summer) evening race series which will continue through September, and my son has successfully completed the first two. In race 1, there were about 15 boats, he had already been told about right of way, and how to navigate around the (bay) course, so I gave him a last brief before sending him out in this very friendly, non-threatening fleet. I also gave him a quick simple introduction to racing rules (based on this site: http://www.sailingcourse.com/racing_rules.htm) Our goals were, complete the course, don't get discouraged, and don't hit anything or anyone.

I had a pretty good start, but went the wrong way on very light shifty first beat and got to the weather mark just behind the middle of the fleet, lost another boat on the first reach and turned to see him pretty far behind the fleet. I gybed around the second mark and sailed back to him and we sailed together the rest of the race. I was very proud of him when he finished. His mom (our shore crew that night) was standing on the beach and took a couple pictures of us downwind, which I showed him later and brought home why I (weight at least 35 pounds more than him) could sail faster downwind, simply by getting as much of the boat out of the water as I could.

So, after a month, we still have a growing list of boat projects but the ones that became first priority were, (1) new mainsheet, (2) remove the mainsheet cleats, and (3) more purchase on the vang (15:1 ... pictures to follow).

Also, he's hooked on racing and now we're working on keeping his focus on his grades just a little longer until the end of the school year.

Attachments

• DSCN4258.jpg
    DSCN4258.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN4249.jpg
    DSCN4249.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN4250.jpg
    DSCN4250.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 76
Raced another couple of club races. Long dormant skills are slowly come back to me.

Last week started in light/moderate breeze and soon dropped to glassy and close to zero wind. We had ~12-15 boats at the start and were down to about 8 or 9 half-way through. I was very pleased with a close second place finish, circled around the R/C and watched my son's determination to finish the entire race in very difficult conditions. On the drive home, he said he was frustrated in the light air, but still not discouraged. I told him that sailing in no wind is about as hard as it gets for everyone and to just hang in there.

Last night's race was much different. We started in moderate, steady breeze which lightened some. Enough breeze to stay on the rail all the way through the course, and finishing in marginal hiking conditions. After a sketchy start (had to dip the line after the horn) I was able to pick out 4 or 5 shifts and lucky enough to be on the correct side of the fleet to take optimal advantage of them on the first beat, which put me in front of the fleet for the night. Feels really good to have moved from the back to the middle to the front part of the fleet in a couple months. I'm still focusing on encouraging my young sailor, but it feels good that he thinks his dad's pretty cool too. He finished at the back of the fleet, but much closer every week, and definitely within reach this week. Can't wait to race again.

We were able to get out about an hour early last night and just sail around together. On the water, I sometimes duck his transom or cross his bow by no more than an inch, and often practice sailing absolutely as close as possible in all wind conditions, and stopping and starting the boat. He is getting comfortable sailing in very close proximity to other boats and much more solid in his boat handling and tacking and jibing skills. In the short time he's been sailing, he's learned a lot. Every time we sail, racing or not, I try to get him to learn one thing.. just one. Last night it was finding that magic groove between pointing and footing that gets upwind as fast as possible. On the way home in the car, we introduced headers and lifts to the discussion.

I told him last night that I am really glad that I get to sail with him and share this with him, but also told him in no uncertain terms, to please not do this just for me. As long as he is having fun, and pursuing this on his own, I will encourage and, help when he allows me to, but I will not push him to take up "my sport." I've also found him carrying some of my old sailing books from the bookcase at home in his school backpack. He's definitely caught the bug. Project: "Add 2 to the local fleet" is complete and a resounding success!

Thats good to hear that you are both enjoying racing,

Sailing in light wind can be frustrating at first, slight adjustments in trim (including body weight) can make a huge difference in boatspeed. In light wind you also need to reduce drag on the hull (by increasing laminar flow) as much as possible by sitting forward in the boat and use a minimum amount of helm. It is important to keep water flow on the blades especially in light air.

One thing to keep in mind throughout the racecourse is boatspeed

Great thread!

I hope your son will enjoy his time on the water and that this will lead to a lifelong hobby. Moreover, although winning a race is gratifying, there is more to life (and sailing) than that....

Back