New/old Laser owner with a roof rack question

sburke1212

I have seen that one can put a laser on roof racks, but how does one manage to get it up there and off of there without killing oneself?

I am a 40ish woman who will be sailing alone. I like the idea of no trailer, but I can't seem to figure out the logistics of the roof rack thang. Is there some way of doing this single handedly?

Thanks, Susan

Susan-

Not that I know of. We all wish there was a way, but without something mechanical helping you, getting the 130lbs up top alone isnt' feasible for most of us.

Design a system to do it and you'll sell out the block

sburke1212 said:
I have seen that one can put a laser on roof racks, but how does one manage to get it up there and off of there without killing oneself?

I am a 40ish woman who will be sailing alone. I like the idea of no trailer, but I can't seem to figure out the logistics of the roof rack thang. Is there some way of doing this single handedly?

Thanks, Susan

There's a couple of articles from the old Dr. Laser website about single-handedly cartopping a Laser. In one, Cartipping a Laser, I still don't think a woman could do it. You have to lift first the bow, then the stern onto the top of your car. On a good day I could lift the bow that high, but never the stern. The other article is Cartopping a Laser with One Lift, which sounds more promising for a woman. It's copyrighted material that I can't post here. I'd paraphrase it, but I don't quite understand it! I tried finding the Dr. Laser archives, and had no luck. Does anyone have a workable link for that, because that is where I got the article in the first place.

sburke1212 said:

Thanks, Susan
I don't want to reopen the car top vs trailer issue but...

The easiest way if you are alone is to use a trailer. They don't have to cost much and are easy. This one cost me under 150.00. Its 40 years old and was easy to modify. If you put the lights on a board electrical becomes a non issue as well.

Attachments

• Trailer side view Small.JPG
    Trailer side view Small.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Trailer Rear View Small.JPG
    Trailer Rear View Small.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 73
Just put something on the back of your car so it dosn't get scratched. Then put the laser behind the car and just tip it over the car and push it up. Should be reasonably easy for anyone.

you don't want to turn it into a Vonage commercial. it really depends on your car. if it's a lower height wagon like a subaru or a passat, you could probably do it alone. it's just so much safer with another person. i was putting mine on top of my suburban before i bought my kitty hawk and it was an adventure by myself and i'm a guy. i always did it on grass. cartopping is great as long as there are others to help on and off. hopefully, though you'll be able to get a trailer in the future. once you get the trailer and you're just transferring to your seitech, you'll feel so much better. that you can do yourself and your back will thank you.

do you have a garage. i dont car top my lazer, but i do have a double decker sytech trailer. i have a hoist on the top of my garage so i can lift up the boat and flip it on the slings and put it on top by myself. i love it. The laser sailor has an advertisement for a cheapish one. mine was initialy intended for putting heavy roofracks on cars. Works great.

If you have a truck, installing Laser-sized rails in the bed should allow you to lift the bow onto the rails and then lift the sterm up and shove it in... I wrestle with this same issue for I have only a trailer and no dolly... Sure I can run it off the ramp using the trailer, but then the lights get underwater etc...

getting it onto the car seems to not be the only problem here... getting it off the car and into the water is also a problem, no?

Parhaps a dolly + ramps into a truck bed would work... personally, I'd get the trailer.

pez said:
If you have a truck, installing Laser-sized rails in the bed should allow you to lift the bow onto the rails and then lift the sterm up and shove it in... I wrestle with this same issue for I have only a trailer and no dolly... Sure I can run it off the ramp using the trailer, but then the lights get underwater etc...

getting it onto the car seems to not be the only problem here... getting it off the car and into the water is also a problem, no?

Parhaps a dolly + ramps into a truck bed would work... personally, I'd get the trailer.

Use a lighting board (see pic from post above) this way the lights never see the water and are kept warm and dry during the off season even if the trailer is in a snow drift.

Back