New mainsheet - any recommendations?

jeffers

Well after sailing this past weekend I noticed my long suffering mainsheet is finally showing sign of wear meaning I will soon need to replace it.

I currently have (I think) a very early Rooster polilite. It has done 5+ years of sterling service and does not seem to tangle as badly as other ropes I have used in the past.

My question is does any know of anything better?

I am considering a Liros Magic sheet, possibly Maffioli Swiftcord (but this is expensive) or I may just get another polilite.

Link to the Liros:

http://www.bosunbobs.com/en/Liros-M...tm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

Probably go for a 7mm as I believe that is what I currently have.

Link to Maffioli:

http://www.ldcsailing.com/gottifred...me=ropes-rigging-rope-rope-by-function-sheets

Link to Rooster:

http://www.roostersailing.com/merch...t_Code=LRRMS&Category_Code=controlgen&SortBy=

Discuss.......

You know my take on this....
Considering the early sheets were 10 mm braid on braid and all the blocks were suited for this, any raw Dyneema up to this millage is just....lush.
lighter, stronger, no stretch, floats, kinder on the hand / glove, no birds nests..

I will take that into consideration......if I can find any! I would just worry about the wear (this is pretty much the same as the Maffioli Switftcord except that has a secondary thread woven though to give grip.

I'm using naked 9mm, it's so grippy yet soft to hold for sustained periods. I recently did the Sheppey island race in a f5 with no gloves, not a problem.

After substantial research & consulting, I went for a 7mm Robline "Dinghy Sheet". The spec is a tight polyester wrap around polyester core, which prevents the wrap sliding, and in turn helps stop twisting & tangling.
After I fitted out my boat, the two other Lasers at my club tried it and got the same.
Here in Oz it was obtained from Binks Marine at $2.20/m, which also made it one of the cheapest options. It's not shown on their website, so you have to ask for it.

I went for another polilite in the end. I could justify the cost of anything more exotic at the moment (unexpected car expense).

Have tried most of the lines, had lots of tangles with Mafioli and then recommended to try the Rooster 6mm mainsheet.
This Rooster6mm line is way superior to all other lines , great in light air yet fine in heavy winds. It runs much better through the blocks than any other mainsheet I have tried, so can't recommend it highly enough.
And yes, Tom Slingsby used the Rooster 6 mm line I have been told by my Laser dealer to win Gold at the last Olympics!
I use gloves with this line but many other sailors go without gloves when using this 6 mm line.( must be younger!!)
Hope this helps everybody ,it's one line I wouldn't change on my boat.

I've been asking myself that same question for weeks and it narrowed down to Bzzz and Rooster. And after much contemplation and forum searching i just decided to get a 8mm Bzzz for heavy wind and a 6mm Rooster for the lighter stuff.

Back