New Laser Sailor (WHAT DO I NEED)

JoeS

this is my first year i am sailing laser. last year i sailed opties. I need some help figuring out what i need to but,uprade,change with my laser.

Cool sunglasses.... it's all about cool sunglasses.

So - in an attempt to actually be helpful: What do you have now? New Laser? old? 4.7? Radial? Full? Do you have the new-and-improved vang and cunningham setup?

Also, what part of the country are you in (didn't look to see if your profile says...) - warm, cold, both? I sail in swim trunks - but I guess a lot of people up north have all kinds of cold weather gear - Zhik hikers (whatever those are) and whatnot...

this is my first year i am sailing laser. last year i sailed opties. I need some help figuring out what i need to but,uprade,change with my laser.

A short but sweet answer...

1) Suitable clothing for where you sail
2) The new rigging (Vang at least and put some block in the cunningham)

I am currently compiling a whole host of photos for the different methods of rigging a Laser using the new controls (there is a surpirsing amount of legal ways to do this) and will be posting them on my clubs website. I will chick a link when done...

Dolly hitch for your bicycle

Schedule book for all the hotties who will be hitting on you for rides

Build a giant trophy case for all the pickle dishes you will be accumulating

but Most Important...

You need a stuffed bunny for that trophy case. So do whatever it takes to get yourself and your boat to Austin Easter Weekend.

Is that important??
Paige never won any world Championships before she sailed the Easter Laser Regatta.
Nick Adamson wasn't the first US Olympic Laser rep until AFTER he won the Easter Laser regatta.
Bourdow, Kern, Railey and Foerster didn't earn silver medals before they sailed The Easter Regatta.
Foerster didn't win a gold medal until he won the Easter Regatta twice.
Faust had to win the Ester Laser regatta a few times before he was even considered to be North American VP.
Peckover didn't win any world masters titles until after wining the Easter Laser regatta
Young never won the NA masters Champs until he finally won an Easter laser regatta.
Loring didn't win the Sunfish worlds until he polished his skills on the home waters of Sunfish fleet 70 by sailing the Easter Laser regatta
Draheim, Cobb, Romberg, Forester, Lovell, and North never won the O'Days until after sailing the Easter Laser regatta

and tell your mom about this >>>

Becca Lein wasn't valedictorian of Travis High until After she sailed the Easter Laser regatta
Bill Mitchell and Eric Faust didn't get masters degrees with straight As until they had sailed ten Easter Laser regattas apiece.

The list goes on and on and on...

It's pretty simple. You wanna be somebody someday?? Do the right thing

Dolly hitch for your bicycle

Schedule book for all the hotties who will be hitting on you for rides

Build a giant trophy case for all the pickle dishes you will be accumulating

but Most Important...

You need a stuffed bunny for that trophy case. So do whatever it takes to get yourself and your boat to Austin Easter Weekend.

Is that important??
Paige never won any world Championships before she sailed the Easter Laser Regatta.
Nick Adamson wasn't the first US Olympic Laser rep until AFTER he won the Easter Laser regatta.
Bourdow, Kern, Railey and Foerster didn't earn silver medals before they sailed The Easter Regatta.
Foerster didn't win a gold medal until he won the Easter Regatta twice.
Faust had to win the Ester Laser regatta a few times before he was even considered to be North American VP.
Peckover didn't win any world masters titles until after wining the Easter Laser regatta
Young never won the NA masters Champs until he finally won an Easter laser regatta.
Loring didn't win the Sunfish worlds until he polished his skills on the home waters of Sunfish fleet 70 by sailing the Easter Laser regatta
Draheim, Cobb, Romberg, Forester, Lovell, and North never won the O'Days until after sailing the Easter Laser regatta

and tell your mom about this >>>

Becca Lein wasn't valedictorian of Travis High until After she sailed the Easter Laser regatta
Bill Mitchell and Eric Faust didn't get masters degrees with straight As until they had sailed ten Easter Laser regattas apiece.

The list goes on and on and on...

It's pretty simple. You wanna be somebody someday?? Do the right thing

Stop scaring the newbies!

I have a new boat(well almost new was used at worlds) I sail in the northeast.. Gouvernail what were you saying after most important?

I was inviting you to come play with us in Austin on Easter Weekend.

and yes...We HAVE had a few kids flown down here by their parents. We find great folks to keep track of guest kids for that weekend and if given some notice will find housing, a boat and even pick people up at the airport and deliver them back afer the sailing is over. .

Merrrrillleeee. simply brought a tent and her hubby to keep her warm

Hiking pants are really important, especially for you since you will be spending most of your time in hiking in the laser. It's not a opti. Sea Australia are really nice, mine have lasted me 4 years and are still in great condition. Wearing board shorts over top helps keep them in good condition. They are expensive, but they are definitely worth it. I would suggest getting them from Intensity. Sailing lasers is a lot harder than optis. It takes a lot of strength. Flat is Fast!

start gaining weight and getting stronger now! your gunna need both! you've learned all the tactical on the opti now it's time to learn the physical part of sailing, your def. going to need either a radial or 4.7 rig as opti sailors can't usually keep down a full. opti to laser is a big jump do your reading this winter on different rigging options and laser tactics for the upcoming summer. don't get discouraged within your first regattas,

Back