new Laser (for me) in Williamsburg, VA

I just bought a used 1985 Laser today. A few questions.

First, are there any Laser sailors in or around Williamsburg who would be interested in sailing together? I'm a reasonably experienced sailor, but in a Thistle and a Sunfish. I've never sailed a Laser before and would like to speed up the learning curve.

Second, I'd like to update some of the deck hardward, all of which seems original. How is the hardward attached? It seems like you have to cut holes in the deck to get access to the back of the hardware. True?

Third, inside the boat there is some loose rubbery sheeting that is just lying in the bottom of the hull. What is this stuff?

John

just some quick answers, others may elaborate:
1) join the Class
2) search your District for nearby clubs, events, regatta's etc
3) the Upgrade Kits from Harken and Ronstan have instructions that are relatively simple to install. The age and condition of hull may warrant an inspection port to add backing plates.
4) rubbery sheeting ? no clue, unless its residue from a repair or construction.

Are the deck-mounted cleats originally screwed into th hull w/o a backing plate?

I can't answer that directly, but the new hardware is supposed to fit right into the old holes. No fuss. I assume that means it's reinforced there somehow. I do know it's reinforced where after-market mainsheet cleats are installed.

Also, here's your district webpage. Maybe you can contact your district secretary to find the sailing action.
http://www.ilcana.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=71

I think it's safe to remove the mystery sheets, unless they are somehow attached (???). Never heard of that.

It is a dead cubitainer. I pulled out two busted ones, and found a third that is intact. I guess I need to replace them, and also install an inspection port in the back to see if the ones back there are blown as well.

In older boats it is pretty normal to see that happen. I think the heat gets to them and they disinigrate. They have looked like little hard peices of yellow plastic floating in the boat.

I found that I could look through the bailer hole in the transom, and the cubitainers in the stern are intact. But I found a third dead cubitainer in the bow.

I got it in Charlotte, NC, from a listing in the for sale sectionof the Laser Forum. It's the same one you were interested in -- I just got to it first. Keep looking! And good luck!

John

Back