New laser blades used at worlds?

I break things

Is it me or did everyone at the worlds use a new type of yellow blades that are lighter and have no metal inside them. That is just what ive heard but i want to get a pair of those anyone know where you can get some?

On my trip to Florida I picked up used Aussie blades that I bought from Paige Railey. They are the same weight, I believe, as ordinary blades, but they are super smooooth. They have a foam core, covered with glass, then resin over all. Very nice.

yes but the yellowish color is soooo un-laser... don't like the big laser words all over them either

yes but the yellowish color is soooo un-laser... don't like the big laser words all over them either

The color is OK to me because it reminds me of wood, but as for the

LASER on the rudder and other writing on the centerboard, where is the humility, or maybe it's just that they think we don't know what we sail?

Apparently some of these blades broke at the recent worlds in AUS. Has anyone heard more about this?

At least one set broke, but that was after the boat ended up in high breaking surf so it doesn't count!

Older fibreglass CBs are being weighed at the worlds as well, and some of them were underweight.

Older fibreglass CBs are being weighed at the worlds as well, and some of them were underweight.

The "older" blades are not fiberglass they are plastic/foam....The word is the Aussie blades are stiffer which would make sense because they are epoxy. The company formerly known as Vanguard (aka LP) was going to import them last year but there were some quality control problems with them. Might see them in the states this season.

At least one world champ reckoned that the new Aussie foils were flexier but more durable than the standard ones.

Something that was amusing at the worlds was hearing a fast American and a fast (I think) Euro complain about the flexy Aussie spars......hello, haven't we been hearing for years about how the Aussie masts were superior and therefore the class wasn't a real one design?? Complaints from these guys put that into context.

The "Laser" printed under the epoxy is there to stop re-finishing. If the Laser insignia is sanded off the sanding has gone too far.

Boathouse, you're right, I used the term "fibreglass" because that was the way they were referred to in the measurement instructions, which said that all "fibreglass" CBs had to be weighed.

Back