New interest in Laser sailing; need advice please.

Mariner

Hello

I'll try and make this short and sweet. I am 37 and have developed a new interest in Laser sailing (that stemmed from making plans to get my 7 year old active in the sport). Except, I have limited sailing experience myself

I taught myself on a 22' Capri many years ago; going in circles in Mission Bay until discovering the use of a Tack. I use to have a great love of sailing and boating and the water and then lost it after getting married, having a kid and more to the point WORKING IN A OFFICE for the last 8 years. My experience is BEGINNER. I can take that same Capri out today,m but admittedly do not feel like the skilled one

I recently had a career change that puts me right on the water and on boats everyday (A yacht maintenance company; detailing, washing, repair, check ups, charters, traning, et al) and suddenly my love of all things maritime are back.

-

So, I am now looking to get my son (7) into sailing lessons; the earlier the better but then have been refocusing my own goals and interests; and I find myself really looking at competive sailing

Where do I start ? I am in Wilmington, NC (via San Diego) and have found one place that seems to support the Laser class but it is a club that appears to be very 'Clubbish' (for lack of better word); you need a sponsor and sides, very expensive for my working class a**

I'd like to have my own Laser class soon (I see them being very affordable at first glance) but have zero clue HOW TO RACE, or how to get involved or where to start overall.

Any advice, input, direction is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance. My goal is for my son and me to enjoy the sport together (and learn together) and eventually race together

Please only serious replies.

: / Thanks from the noob :rolleyes: :) :D

i may be out of line, but a 7 year may be better suited in an Opti. with Dad following in a Laser Radial. great way for both to get sea legs. when your son is 13 - 15 he would progress into a 4.7 Laser rig, which is the natural progression. By then Dad would be switching regularly between Full rig laser and Radial, depending on conditions. There are fleets in your area for racing, but nothing beats time in the boat.

.Where do I start ? I am in Wilmington, NC (via San Diego) and have found one place that seems to support the Laser class but it is a club that appears to be very 'Clubbish' (for lack of better word); you need a sponsor and sides, very expensive for my working class a**

I'd like to have my own Laser class soon (I see them being very affordable at first glance) but have zero clue HOW TO RACE, or how to get involved or where to start overall.

Any advice, input, direction is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance. My goal is for my son and me to enjoy the sport together (and learn together) and eventually race together

Welcome, Mariner. You are in District 12. Here's a link to all the Laser fleets in your region. http://www.ilcana.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Itemid=71 Try contacting your district secretary for advice. I only bought a Laser a couple of years ago and learned to sail after that (in Ohio). I found a place that had lessons open to the public and ended up joining there. Even if you already know how to sail, I'd recommend a few Laser lessons. I'm still learning to finesse mine! As for finding a place to race, some clubs have weekday evening racing and you pay a fee for the series without having to join the club. I don't know if this exists in your area, but it's something to look for.

Is the boat for yourself or your son ?

Whilst I would never suggest anybody sail anything other than a Laser, if your son is learning, might it be an idea to get a boat that can be sailed single handled or two-up; so you can sail/handicap race alone or go out with your son as well (sometimes). Its more about enjoying sailing that loving a particular type of boat.

Just a thought (no children myself so I may be way off the mark here)

Ian

i may be out of line, but a 7 year may be better suited in an Opti. with Dad following in a Laser Radial. great way for both to get sea legs. when your son is 13 - 15 he would progress into a 4.7 Laser rig, which is the natural progression. By then Dad would be switching regularly between Full rig laser and Radial, depending on conditions. There are fleets in your area for racing, but nothing beats time in the boat.

Thanks you; I am looking at this option and appreciate your advice

I feel a bit silly; but have just realized there are more than one class and type of 'racing/sailing dinghy'

Let me ask yall' this ?

Why the Laser over the other options ?

Is the boat for yourself or your son ?

Whilst I would never suggest anybody sail anything other than a Laser, if your son is learning, might it be an idea to get a boat that can be sailed single handled or two-up; so you can sail/handicap race alone or go out with your son as well (sometimes). Its more about enjoying sailing that loving a particular type of boat.

Just a thought (no children myself so I may be way off the mark here)

Ian

Hi Ian

Well (possibly in ignorance), my initial thoughts were:

How cool would it be for my son and I to be on the same boat, racing.

That's about as simple as I got ( :D :p )

Once apon a time, before the days of the laser. My dad took me sailing pretty often in his Fireball. Now I believe that is now a pretty well a dead class but maybe a laser 2.

Not really. Most of those boats aren't suitable for what you want to do. If you want to race, I suggest that you look around your region and see what racing is available--what classes of dinghies. Get into one of those classes, for how else will you have anyone to compete against. It could be the Laser. You can buy a Laser hull and get three different size sail rigs for it, so it can grow with your size and skill. You can also sail with two on it. The lessons at my club used to be given in Lasers with two sailors onboard until they switched to FJs.

Not really. Most of those boats aren't suitable for what you want to do. If you want to race, I suggest that you look around your region and see what racing is available--what classes of dinghies. Get into one of those classes, for how else will you have anyone to compete against. It could be the Laser. You can buy a Laser hull and get three different size sail rigs for it, so it can grow with your size and skill. You can also sail with two on it. The lessons at my club used to be given in Lasers with two sailors onboard until they switched to FJs.

Thank you Merrily; sounds like practical advice !

(I guess the 18 ft Skiff is out of the question) :eek:

I think a laser is a fine boat to start with for you and your son. The opti/laser combination is a good idea once you both are competent, but as a former instructor, I caution you against it until at least you have the confidence that you can sail your boat to where it needs to be quickly. Should he and you separate and you can't get back to him, it could become a scary situation quickly. Quoting someone from above, it is all about the enjoyment of sailing right now. Part of the enjoyment, especially for the 7 year old, is not having any scary things happen early on.

I vote for one dinghy that can be self righted and sailed away after a capsize. The laser fits that bill, but so do many others. I don't think that is the case with an opti.

I also agree that if you want to learn to race, don't pick a boat until you find out what active fleets are near you.

I think a laser is a fine boat to start with for you and your son. The opti/laser combination is a good idea once you both are competent, but as a former instructor, I caution you against it until at least you have the confidence that you can sail your boat to where it needs to be quickly. Should he and you separate and you can't get back to him, it could become a scary situation quickly. Quoting someone from above, it is all about the enjoyment of sailing right now. Part of the enjoyment, especially for the 7 year old, is not having any scary things happen early on.

I vote for one dinghy that can be self righted and sailed away after a capsize. The laser fits that bill, but so do many others. I don't think that is the case with an opti.

I also agree that if you want to learn to race, don't pick a boat until you find out what active fleets are near you.

Thank you Hoffy.

I also want to acknowledge everyones friendliness. It is unusal posting new qustions in forums (my interests are also filmmaking and baseball) to receive such pleasant replies.

:)

Just to re-enforce what others have said:
I was in your position a few years back (son now 11) We now own a Laser for me (raced at our local club) an optimist for him (raced at our local club) and a Lark for both of us (a double hander that is.... you guessed it... raced at our local club).

We also have great fun in my dad's old cruising dinghy (all three of us) just pottering around. There is NO better way than sailing for father and son to spend time together. Look forward to amazing times.:)

Just to re-enforce what others have said:
I was in your position a few years back (son now 11) We now own a Laser for me (raced at our local club) an optimist for him (raced at our local club) and a Lark for both of us (a double hander that is.... you guessed it... raced at our local club).

We also have great fun in my dad's old cruising dinghy (all three of us) just pottering around. There is NO better way than sailing for father and son to spend time together. Look forward to amazing times.:)

That sounds awesome and is exactly the vision I am seeing ! :cool: :)

Excited for you Mariner, to be getting back into boats. I too have just returned in the last year to owning my own. Been on friends boats for years. I just bought a laser to race at the club and sail with my four year old son. I'll take the two year old if he shows interest, and my wife wants to improve her skills too, but not all at once. Keep us posted. Enjoy.

Thanks again Hoffy

I'm super stoked about this. I just cannot wait to get on the water; aggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Stay tuned !

Also, good luck on the racing. Regardless of what class boat or club you join, you will find helpful people. That's how I got started. You'll soon find the folks who are happy to answer questions. Start by asking the folks who finish right around you and/or the people who eat sandwiches on the downwind legs. You can bet they are easy going.

Back