Question New ILCA?

Should be the same as ever. The only technical issues that I’m aware of is the tightening of the mast rake tolerances (they should be within a few millimetres now), and tiny differences in the transom/deck angle between different builders. The latter has led some tiller manufacturers (such as Rooster) to offer slightly different models for different hulls.

_

Should be the same as ever. The only technical issues that I’m aware of is the tightening of the mast rake tolerances (they should be within a few millimetres now), and tiny differences in the transom/deck angle between different builders. The latter has led some tiller manufacturers (such as Rooster) to offer slightly different models for different hulls.

_
Some said that the screws are fitted in composite materials in the Ilca.

LaLi may correct me, but I have read that quite a few (5-10) years ago the Australian manufacturer made a small change that wasn't officially authorized. It was a good change though (from a hull strength viewpoint) and I am reasonably sure (!) that it is now part of the construction manual that all builders have to follow.

LaLi may correct me
:D Well, that’s roughly how I’ve understood it, too. That is, in about 2015, PSA was given the task (by ILCA) to do something about cracks appearing at the front end of the centreboard slot (presumably due to the increased practice of high-speed towing), and so they added an oval piece of fibreglass on the bottom on each side (so not a huge change). They were supposed to just test it first, but because of some communication screwup they did it on about 200 production boats without the go-ahead from ILCA.

This was solved by the other builders (LP and PSJ at the time) adopting the same added reinforcement, so it would be very strange if the boats from the current builders didn’t have it as well.

_

Rumors said that the ice blue series had it. But this problem was also solved by having the plywood stringer vertical, instead of having it laying flat. On my 97 and 05 it was vertikal. No cracks. But plywood. Some people report on a kinda black kompositt on the attachments. Plywood fini?

Back