New Capri Owner

jcorliss78

I just wanted to say hello before I added to any threads. I just purchased a '97 14.2 from a local dealer in new and used boats. I'd like to mention that I'm a first time boater, and I've yet to put her in the water. I plan on contacting the local harbormaster in regards to lessons or one-on-one with an experienced sailer. I just brought my new baby home yesterday, and spent the afternoon cleaning up the hull and gel-coat waxing it. Next weekend I plan on restoring the teak, as it has aged to a nice silver hue but the grain has raised a bit. I don't believe she has seen water in atleast a year.

I've especially appreciated the details and info provided in your manual and in the various forum threads. I hope to return to this site frequently.

Welcome

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new boat. When I first got my Capri, I launched it without the sails. Then I practiced capsizing and recovering in shallow water. This is something you can try on your own to get comfortable with the idea that you can recover easily if you ever capsize out on the water. I ran a strap out one of the drain holes, so I could use as a rope ladder to get back into the boat a little more easily.

Get out on the water a couple of times, you will find what works and what doesn't work well. This is an easy boat to make minor tweaks and changes to make your use easier on the water.

Have fun with the boat and

-Robert
1984 Catalina 22
1989 Catalina Capri

If I didn't live 3000 miles away (Southern Calif.) I would be glad to teach you the ropes. You will learn quickly that sailboaters are a great bunch of people who help each other out often. Enjoy you new boat, and you might want to go back to the very first post on this group and start reading what everyone has had to say, I did and learned a lot.

I agree that I can learn alot from this forum. I've already read all the posts and printed out the ship manual. I especially appreciated the rigging diagrams. Alittle hard to decipher but once I can raise the mast, hoist sails and give it a go I'm sure it will become clear.

I've done some research online, and being near Lake Ontario, I found a three part sailing course offered by the Maritime Association. I plan on taking the course after my restoration is complete.

I especially liked the refitting detail suggested for removing the bow-box to open up more storage space. A long term goal will be to apply that to my own ship. First off, I plan on using the enclosed bow to advantage by practicing capsizing recovery and have already "sealed" the mast with spray foam as suggested. I've attached a frontal pic and will update with rigged pictures once I feel safe on the water.:)

Attachments

• m_showpics005.jpg
    m_showpics005.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 215
Sailing Class has begun

Wow. Thats all I have to say for my first day of sailing class. It was amazing. Small hitch, the skipper/instructor couldn't prevent it and capsized us and the flying scotsman we were in went turtle in under a minute. I'll definately be ordering a Baby Bob mast float to help my Capri.

Can anyone give feedback if the '96 Mod 2 design is self righting? If I eventually follow the example of another poster and remove the bow box to open up the cuddy will that significantly make righting difficult?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Back