need help with custom vang

When I complained to my dad about the price of micro blocks at my local marine store, he said, "It's generally assumed that most people with boats have disposable income."

I just replied, "Well what if you're like me and you disposed of all your income on the boat in the first place?" :D

Anyway, that leads me to my point: As new as I am to the Laser world, I don't see the need to spend the $$ on the new vang system. I'd rather build my own, which I hope will be just as nice. It looks really cool with the new lines and blocks all laid out, but I can't figure out how to attach the two small blocks to the original, bottom vang block (with the cleat). All the wesbites I've checked out show tiny, low-quality pictures of custom vangs and they fail to explain how to actually put it together. Do the additional blocks actually attach to the original block, or the vang tang, or... :confused:

See figure 4...

If my question isn't making sense I can snap a pic.

Thanks for the advice...

Hmmm... I've thought about this a lot... and the conclusion I have come up with is that the "appproved model" is, much to my chagrin, cheaper.

I am an amatuer..just acouple thoughts..

that said, I think it's an interesting project... I dont know why you could not replace both vang blocks with standard double blocks, a forkhead block On the deck, and double blocks on deck ... keeping in mind one will need a means by which to clevis pin or chackle to the old-school vang key.

Dead end at half of a lower block, run up to half the upper block, down to the other half of the second double block, back up to the other half of the upper block, then move along the boom to a block and or cleat somewhere...

I dunno.. perhaps get the outhaul upgrade, which leaves you with an unused cleat on the boom... perhaps you could direct your vang aft down the boom, to the outhaul fairlead (or black attached thereto, then to the old-cschool outhaul cleat?

Probabaly not legal, or even smart... but might be interesting.

I think the rules state that you can use single or double "option" blocks (with or without beckets). You're allowed to replace the original top block with your block of choice, but unless you buy the pro upgrade, the clam cleat block must be used or it's illegal (this is what I've gathered from several sites).

I know it's cheaper to buy the pro upgrade as a package than as individual parts; that's not what I'm trying to do here. I know there are lots of people out there with upgraded standard vangs, and I just want to know how to anchor the extra two blocks that are used near the vang-tang (pins, rope loops, shackles, etc...)

I should clerify: when I said "build my own" I didn't actually mean build. I meant add a few extra blocks to the original vang for more purchase. I simply need to know how to add those blocks (see figure 4 in the link I posted earlier)

That's a very interesting web page!

I simply need to know how to add those blocks (see figure 4 in the link I posted earlier)
I think that the two blocks that go alongside the orignal vang's mast
block are simply tied to the mast block's swivel. Just use two short
lines tied in a loop with a square knot.

BTW, I have tied a loop to that swivel in order to use the upgraded cunningham
with the original vang. The loop held one of the blocks for the cunningham to
the mast tang via the swivel.

Hi,

The Cheek blocks are attached with a bolt and nylock nut. The bolt goes thru one cheek, then the original cleat block bottom pin hole, then the swivel, again thru the other side of the cleat block, then the 2nd cheek block. You may have to drill out the holes in the cheek tangs to fit a decent bolt. 1.25" long bolt should do it.

Assemble the new vang with the bolt loose, put it in place and tighten the vang, then tighten the bolt. The cheeks will float to the proper angle, then the tight bolt will hold it.

If you don't have a swivel, then put the mast tang in it's place. The swivel helps a lot, but good ones are expensive. Ask around and see if anyone with the new vang has their old swivel in a box somewhere.

Also, you can try reversing the vang, so the cleat block/cheeks/swivel hang from the boom. It works really well, and has been assumed to be legal for decades, even though you can't find it in the rules anywhere.

Al Russell

Ahhhh that makes perfect sense now. At the moment I've only got a few swiveling blocks so I may have to try the rope loops until I get some cheek blocks.

I'll post pics when I'm done because it looks purdy...

Back