Need help fixing where rudder attaches to boat!

trails

A screw popped out the top plate where the rudder attaches to the boat. I don't know the name of this part. It is the thing along the back of the boat Where the rudder attaches. It is an old style set up. I have the screw but when I tried to screw it in, it just spins, it is stripped. Can any help me figure out how to get this to stick in there? Do I need putty or an anchor for the screw? I am bummed, sitting on the shore with weekend of not sailing ahead of me! :(

A screw popped out the top plate where the rudder attaches to the boat. I don't know the name of this part. It is the thing along the back of the boat Where the rudder attaches. It is an old style set up. I have the screw but when I tried to screw it in, it just spins, it is stripped. Can any help me figure out how to get this to stick in there? Do I need putty or an anchor for the screw? I am bummed, sitting on the shore with weekend of not sailing ahead of me! :(
Better to be out sailing than fixing.

Beneath the deck is a wood block (backing block) that the screw anchors into. Sounds like the hole in the wood is stripped out. Let's hope the block isn't rotted or has fallen away. Probe around at an angle with something like an ice pick to be sure the block is there and it hasn't gone soft with rot.

If the block is there and solid, fill the hole in the backing block with epoxy. Once the epoxy has cured re-drill the hole to the proper size for the screw. Then screw the Deck Plate and Spring Plate back in place.

4755574667_5e1babce98_b.jpg

You are my hero!!!!! I hope it is not rotted. Would it rot even if 90% of it's time is dry docked and 10% is fresh water? Also I am in a desert climate with low humidity.
I can't wait to get it fixed up now that I know what to do!
Thanks so much!

You are my hero!!!!! I hope it is not rotted. Would it rot even if 90% of it's time is dry docked and 10% is fresh water? Also I am in a desert climate with low humidity.
I can't wait to get it fixed up now that I know what to do!
Thanks so much!
NP

Your climate gives you better odds. Probing is the only way to know for sure.

If all goes well you could be fixed tonight and sailing all weekend.

Back