Need Advice on Used Hull

Kayakbuilder

On Ebay there is a listing for used hulls from what looks to be a 5 survivors of a rental fleet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110160549112&rd=1
I've read your TLF quide to buying used Lasers and the pics show that these are needing serious fairing, touch-up with fiberglass, and sanding/painting for which I'm well prepared (i.e. Kayakbuilder).
I just want some assurances from those who have done major repairs that this is doable and also what purchase price do you think I should not exceed.
Thanks in advance!:)

I'm an Australian and therefor don't deal in american $$ but 500US$ seems like a lot just for a hull. with no mast or sails?

Reon guessed correctly. Considering that these are awful looking boats :eek: that need a lot of work and all the trimmings (!), you are much better off looking for a fully rigged and dry boat in the $1000-$2000 range.

If you want to race... dont buy these hulls.... if you want to have a trustworthy hull... dont buy these hulls. If you don't want to spend 1500 outfitting a boat... dont buy ONLY these hulls...

HOWEVER...... if you want a boat that could get runover by a Charleston tour boat and you wouldn't care... Please, buy these hulls....:p:p:p

Na... on a serious note my first laser was like those... and I loved it. I would talk him down on the price, as it looks like a decent amount of work is needed. Once you get the hull, repost with specific problems and you'll be swamped with plenty of information on how to fix your new baby.

The idea of buying a hull without being able to look it over and "feel it up" would scare me :eek:. I have seen quite a few older boats with all of the sticks and blades (and maybe a crappy curtain or two) in the $1000 - 1500 range. I would hold out for something like that. Also, check out the following thread to consider what could be in store for you.

http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=6507&highlight=1979+laser

Someone once told me that you should look at at least 100 boats (both for sale and not for sale) before you buy.

Good luck.

Back