mylar sails???

sailr802

this may sound a bit ridiculous, but are they made for sunfish?
ive seen them on lasers and some opti's, but do they come in sunfish form??
sure would be a nice additional to my race boat

you could probably have them made, but they would not be legal for racing and would cost a lot more that the Class approved North Racing sail.

this may sound a bit ridiculous, but are they made for sunfish?
ive seen them on lasers and some opti's, but do they come in sunfish form??

I have been around a lot of Lasers :eek:, but have yet to see one with a Mylar sail.

full size lasers or the rc one's? They are class legal for them. North and Hyde or the only class approved makers of laser sails and they only make dacron ones.

I don't like the idea. Wouldn't be race legal, would be real expensive, would degrade and delaminate over time. Plus, if you wanted to improve the performance of a sunfish by changing the rig to something that isn't race legal, and would be pretty expensive, you might as well just replace the crazy inneficient lateen rig with a laser style marconi.

Attachments

• contender.jpg
    contender.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 87
Way cool... you could start your own version of street racing, "fleet racing" 2 Fast 2 Furious. Equipment would mean everything, skipper skill would be secondary, $800 Mylar sail, custom engineered $600 rudder, $400 bulb tipped daggerboard or Moth-type hydrofoil, $2000 Carbon fiber mast and spars, a real vang, $1000 digital navigation console in the coaming, $600 iPod dock with 1000 watt amp and super subwoofers that could also provide a down wind boost. The deepest pockets win.

I think you would find mylar sails to be very durable on a Sunfish -- which would tend to make them cost effective. However, they would be almost impossible to alter shape with the cunningham and boom vang. Mylar has a "manufactured" shape to it that would be very difficult, if not impossible, to change on a small Sunfish sail. The Santana 20 keelboat class has played around with mylar mainsails and most of the sailors have gone back to Dacron because it is more adjustable. I have Carbon fiber over mylar sails on my F-31 trimaran. These are beautiful sails (they look like a black airplane wing) and work great on a 42 foot mast, but I would not put them on my Sunfish.

Back