My sunfish Saga

Cavi

Well, yesterday was the big day. A couple of weeks ago I found a sunfish on Craigslist, but it was 3 and a half hours away, so I traded texts and agreed on a fair price if he were to hold it for me and sent him a deposit in order for him to hold it. Well yesterday i loaded up the family as we were to make a day of it and visit my great Aunt on the way over and my wife's aunt on the way back. We arrived and i could not believe the state of the hull. In the pictures it looked clean and good, the owner stated that it was a 8 out of 10. i would classify it as a 2 out of 10. first off it was an early 70s boat not an 80s boat as stated.. Second, there was white contact paper in many areas covering who knows what. In three spots there was some white puddy covering a break in the hull. This puddy was soft like pyaydooh, who knows what it was. The drain was the old metal one and it was corroded and looked like there was no hopes of it every working. Then the worst of all. The plate where the rudder mounts was gone and replaced with a piece of wood, the piece of wood stuck down below the hull about 4 inches. The owner proudly stated that it had been converted to run a laser rudder. When I tried to explain that a flat block of wood that was 10 inches wide sticking 4 inches below the hull would not work as it would cause major drag he could not understand this or tried to apear he did not get it. Not to mention that the block of wood was melanine, and would probably last one trip!! End result i walked away and lost my deposit as he would not return it.
All was not lost as I had seen another sunfish on Ebay after I had sent the deposit on this one. It had not sold and was not close, but it was about 1 hour out of the way on the way home. I quickly e-mailed him and he had not sold it so I got a price and decided to go see it. Got there and it looked pretty good, and the price was right so I strapped it to the roof and headed home. End result 535 miles in one day to get a sunfish. The new boat looks good, but there are a couple of issues. One, he did not have paperwork, it has been in his family for years but never registered. Second it does take on some water through the mast pocket (how do I fix that?) last, the rudder and daggerboard look home made (I have a new plastic daggerboard already) I will post pictures after with questions about the rudder.

Sucks someone misrepresented an item for sale. I once drove 5 hours one way to check out (and buy) a catamaran that was misrepresented. Didn't buy it. At least you got one out of the trip anyway. Worked out in the end. There is a lot of info on repairing the mast tube (which will have to be done from the inside. You will need to install an inspection port in a location so you can access the tube. The port installation is very simple. Otherwise, repairing the mast tube will not be difficult, but access will be what makes it a more painful process. If you haven't already found it, go to Sunfish Sailor's Yahoo Groups page and click on files. You will find more info on repairs and whatnot than you can shake a stick at.

Back