My "new" Sunfish

cnovark

I think I'm gonna name him Woodstock. It's a 1969, I believe. Going out tomorrow morning if weather permits. I don't expect any leaks. I think that if everything turns out well tomorrow I want to start working on the cosmetic issues. First, the patches...can I sand over them and repaint, or should they be redone, do you think? Also, I've read that wet-sanding is probably what I want to do to the deck to get rid of the stains (?) and crackliness (?). Is that basically exactly what it sounds like...you keep the deck wet and use sand paper with a sanding block? I've done some searches but everything seems to kind of assume you have some idea of what you're doing. I am super excited to get out on the water and also to make the boat shiny and pretty. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• woodstock.jpg
    woodstock.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • woodstock closeup.jpg
    woodstock closeup.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 54
  • patches in woodstock.jpg
    patches in woodstock.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
See what a nice scrub with Comet will do to the (dirty) yellow deck.
Hope you will be sailing soon and don't worry about the esthetics much...

"I've read that wet-sanding is probably what I want to do to the deck to get rid of the stains (?) and crackliness (?). Is that basically exactly what it sounds like...you keep the deck wet and use sand paper with a sanding block? I've done some searches but everything seems to kind of assume you have some idea of what you're doing."

I agree. Maybe start some threads on "How To" with some pics. I'd like to learn what is involved with applying gel coat. But as mentioned above, have fun first, you should always have something ready to put in the water.

The wetsanding has to be done with wet/dry sandpaper. I personally would use at least 600 grit if not higher

Took it out Sunday morning and it did great (better than me). I'm very excited and hope to go out again next weekend. I'm having the best time.

Back