My boom was upside down

Isaac

New to sunfish, just bought an old one and have sailed it 3x.

The third time I had a hell of a time lifting the gaff. Somehow I'd slipped the boom ring (gooseneck?) onto the mast wrong. The boom was upside down.

When I finish sailing, I roll up the three spars and sail together.

Any advice on how to clearly see when I unroll them, how to get the gaff rig on top, the boom on bottom, right-side up, and the halyard not wrapped / tangled around the mast?

Isaac, this rigging guide may help you with it's many photos and diagrams. Use the search bar on this site to find additional posts regarding "rigging" your fish. One of the basic mistakes, and it happens quite often, is to place your spars on the starboard side of the mast. Place them on the port side and run your halyard up on over your mast-eye over to the starboard side fairlead and cleat. Easy- peasy. Read on and enjoy your Sunfish.

Attachments

• Sunfish_Rigging.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
many thanks, Repete. I did have it on the starboard side. Should the halyard go through the mast cap fore to aft, or aft to fore?

As a fellow Michigander, I'll chime in for repeat.
Feed the Halyard through the mast, port to starboard.

Of course, port to starboard since the lead and the cleat are on the starboard, while the boom's on port. The mast is round with no attachment for the boom, so it can be rotated 90 degrees. Thank you. That should help. Wish I could go out sailing now.

My dad was born and raised in MI. I grew up in Illinois, biked through Michigan to Macinaw Island once when I was 13 or so.

You are very welcome.
I understand about the seasons. I have only a wetsuit and have not sailed in December, January, or February.....yet. There are frostbiters that push the limits while the water is still soft (not frozen). I have hopes to aquire a DN Iceboat one of these falls. (Hey, another Michigan fact.....DN stands for the "Detroit News"). Enjoy the winter while you prepare for the 2008 sailing season.

Back